Friday, August 12, 2011

Farmer's Wife Friday--The Sense of Creation


The letter accompanying this week's two blocks for the Farmer's Wife Quilt-along was delightful and uplifting, even poetic. Mrs. I. L. M. from Prince George County, Md., enthusiastically hopes that her daughter will marry a farmer.  She wrote, "When her heart can sing with the morning stars at the first stirrings of the new creation in spring and from that learn to go about her commonplace, homely tasks with still deeper joy over the faint flutterings of a new creation beneath her own heart, she will feel that heaven itself could not be a better place in which to live."
Our first block, Big Dipper, reminds us of those morning stars...........
The second block, Periwinkle, attests to "the delicious sensation of wondering what the earth will bring forth to establish the work of her hands..." 
My block looks a bit wobbly in the photo (those pesky bias edges!), but really, I think it will be just fine in the quilt. I had to buckle in and use the templates included in the book to create the odd triangles. Oh, and guess what! I liked doing it....there's a lot to be said for accuracy when making such a fiddly block, I'm just sayin'!
My pile of little blocks is growing! It's fun to see them all together like this...kind of addictive!
I have such a "sense of creation"! So does my FWQAL partner, Cindy. Be sure to check out her posting today as well. Her blocks, made in all solids, are awesome!
Also, I'm the Blogger's Quilt Festival featured quilter today at
Amy's Creative Side. Hop over and learn about my favorite quilting tip!

4 comments:

  1. These look great! Love the polka dot in the Periwinkle block. I can't get over how small they are....it takes a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy we are partnering in this adventure (otherwise I'd be WAY behind!). And how a lot of the very same sentences jump out at us in the letters.

    Congrats on being the featured quilter at Amy's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having too much fun with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you at Amy's, and I have read you before. I am GrammieQ for the same reason you are Lollyquiltz. I also saw that you had lived in KC (or maybe still do?) That's my home town. Grew up there and now live in NC. Love reading your blog and I am going to try the leaders and enders trick. I never heard of it before, but it makes so much sense. Thanks for great tips.

    ReplyDelete