Friday, February 13, 2015

On the Fence

 Two years after it began, Juicy Fruit is finished. And she's a cheery darling!
 With excellent help from members of the Mid-Century Modern Bee, Juicy Fruit is made of 200 six-inch churn dash blocks, 5 twelve-inch blocks and one large 18-inch churn dash. I collected them on two different occasions when my month as queen of the bee rolled around in 2013 and, again, in 2014.
 Starting out with red, pink and orange, I'm super happy that I added yellow and white to the color combination in 2014. Square Elements, in black, made a great contrast for the binding on the queen size quilt.
 With all the seams making up the quilt top, I decided to go with a 108" wide backing this time. The neutral grey/white polka dot tones down the front a bit. (If that is even possible!). I top stitched some extra six-inch blocks and the signature blocks onto the backing before I quilted.
 The postman was kept busy delivering pretties from as far away as Australia and Canada, as well as Florida, Washington, Texas, California, Colorado, Minnesota, and Ohio. I'm so privileged to be a part of this group of excellent quilters! Thank you, ladies, for helping with this wonderful project.
 My quilting is never fancy. I call it utilitarian, actually. This time I free handed leaves and vines all over the top thinking that leaves went well with the "Juicy Fruit" name.
 As I quilted, I again admired all of the bright fabric combinations included in this scrappy style quilt... my favorite kind. Oh how I love it so!
 On a cold winter day, with not a green leaf in sight, it brought much sunshine to my soul as I snapped photos of this white fence near my home in the country.
 Now, I just hope that the bright color scheme doesn't actually glow in the dark and keep us awake at night!

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Lovely bright colours...no wonder you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one of my favorites. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! I'm all about blues and greens, but this one makes me want to do something in this hot/warm color scheme. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fresh and pretty. It certainly brightened up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun to see this one finished up! I just love everything you have done...the gray back with scattered blocks, the squared elements binding and such a wonderful label to keep your friends close! Congratulations on a juicy sweet finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my heart. Just LOOK at it!! It's gorgeous. Glad you got it done and are enjoying it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carla! I would need now some Super words, because I like this quilt so much! It brings water to my mouth! I love the blocks and some in different size and especially I love the colours! Your quilt bee is fantastic and I think 'bee' was needed to get this so juicy, like a painting - WHO could other wise have so many different fabrics in same colours. This is my favourite and I hope to make one day at least Mini quilt like this. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be very proud of this- it's beautiful! Of course, if it's too bright, turn it over- the back it lovely too! The spots is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its springtime with this wunderfull Quilt!! what wonderfull colours and pretty blogs
    best wishes from north germany Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a lovely quilt. I like the backing too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carla, this is just about the prettiest quilt I've seen in a good while! Just love the colors, the addition of the oversized block, the backing. What an inspiration and how wonderful that it was contributed to by so many!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous, Carla. Those colors are divine and I also love a scrappy quilt. Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhh! I love this too! It is so cheery and wonderful! My quilting is utilitarian as well. I like less fussy. Although I am constantly drooling over those beautifully quilted ones! So good to see those blocks again, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow oh wow . . . so much fun and so much juicy color. I love it Carla!! I really like how the scale changes things up here and there. That was a brilliant idea. Well done and certainly a bright spot on a cold winter day. Happy to add my small part to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is such a wonderful quilt! I love the colors, the idea with the different sizes of the blocks and ..., well, everything about it! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a happy quilt. I'm so happy to be part of it--twice! This is such a wonderful group of women.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cheerful quilt! I love the different sizes blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This quilt always makes me smile. It is one on my list for queen bee ideas. It has turned out so beautifully. I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it. It will never hide in a cupboard, unloved.
    I had not seen the back before. I think you made the perfect backing choice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love, love, love this quilt! It turned out so beautifully. I'm terribly proud of being a wee part of it. And I sure hope this was one of the two quilts you shared at KCMQG Thursday night. Bet you heard lots of oohs and aahs. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh I just adore this quilt! You influenced my liking orange and pink together, and I agree, the yellow adds a special something. Beautiful! So happy to have been a part of it. Twice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Juicy Fruit lives up to her delicious name. The colours in this quilt are mouth watering and the assorted block sizes really add to the "wow" factor. Truly gorgeous, right down to that dotted backing with the random spaced blocks. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now my perfect law is not so green and my white picket fence seems to need painting.pvc fence

    ReplyDelete