Monday, July 8, 2013

Amazing Mazed!

Photographing my new quilts is almost as fun as making them, I think. So when I'm hunting for a good spot for a photo shoot, I carry the quilt with me wherever I go!
Over the weekend, my latest finish, Mazed, traveled with us to Cedar Cove, a feline conservatory for rescued large cats.
My grand daughters, Haven and Maelie, both animal lovers, went with us. (That's Haven sporting her new dinosaur hat!) 
We learned so much and were amazed at how tame this white Bengal tiger was!
On the way home, we happened upon an amazing rock fence. I hopped out of the car with my quilt while Grandad and the girls waited. Meet Mazed...
As I mentioned yesterday, all of the blocks for Mazed were created using the leader/ender system that I love so much.The pattern, by Kristy Daum, is very well written and can be put together into several different settings. I'll definitely use it again.
A layer cake of Bohemian Festival, snagged for me by Cindy Wiens at Quilt Market in Kansas City a year ago, was the perfect combination of colors for this scrappy design.
I managed to stretch a few yards of a favorite flower print by Basic Grey by piecing a "maze" with Kona white for the backing.
Michael Miller chevron print in aqua made the perfect binding.
A simple, wavy-check quilting design using Connecting Threads light yellow thread was quick and easy and made for a very soft-handed quilt. I love the way the uneven quilting lines adds to the "maze" idea.
The quilt is lap size and will get lots of use by my grandies, I'm sure!
Tomorrow I will feature the "beauty shots" of my 3rd UFO finish: Fortunate Friends. Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! First of all, love the hat! And I hope that is a park employee petting that kitty! Yikes! The quilt is gorgeous! So fresh with all the white and you did pick out the perfect binding. Great finish, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love that quilt so much I've only gone and bought the pattern! I've been looking for a leader/ender project to do and this one is just perfect. Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic finish Carla! And your photography is wonderful...what an awesome setting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost love the back as much as the front! The backing fabric is SO lovely! That white tiger is one tame kitty! I will say it again - you live in a wonderful part of the world! (My husband has banned me from visiting you without him!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW!!! It looks great!!! Thanks very much for the great photography too of my pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty quilt and fab photo's, although I am not sure I would have been brave enough to put my hand in the tiger cage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its aMAZE-ing how you find the most awesome and perfect spots to photograph your quilts. The entire quilt, front, back, and binding, are just perfect. Adore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the way you extended the maze concept to the back of your quilt, it's absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect place to take picture. Isn't fun trying to be creative with our photo sessions? Love the maze leader/enders quilt. I simply must try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it was THE weekend for each of us to spend with grandchildren, and check out wildlife! Mazed looks so pretty, and really photographed well against that stone fence. You sure don't see many of those anymore. Looks like something out of a British, James Herriot novel. You're quite the photo-stylist these days.

    ReplyDelete