Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vegetable Soup

This time of year, I just love a hot bowl of veggie soup, don't you? In fact, that's what I'm working on for supper tonight. Do you cook your turkey bones like I do to make a yummy stock? When I recently finished up my latest "free quilt" using 'leaders and enders', it turned out so colorful, that I decided to name it Vegetable Soup.
 Although there's not much to the simple 9-patch design, it's was a quick and easy quilt to make and a great way to use up some of my scraps. I always keep a box full of 2 in. and 2.5 in. squares on hand to use as my leaders and enders. In no time at all, I have the makings for a quilt out of leftovers....just like my turkey vegetable soup!
 The colorful fabric squares were paired with some cream colored Kona that I had on hand....something a little different than the usual white or snow that I usually lean toward.
The quilting is a serpentine like wave stitch that my Bernina quickly turned out. The quilt is bound with  a Moda 'Oh, My" large floral...more leftovers from another project!
This little lap size quilt will be given to a child living in an orphanage in Rwanda sometime soon. Hopefully, the colorful fabrics will be a fun way to cover his/her bed! If you are interested in making "free quilts" with your scraps, check out the tutorial here. (It's a quilting life changer....seriously!)

13 comments:

  1. This quilt might be simple, but it is absolutely gorgeous. Anyone would love to snuggle under it! We had turkey and barley soup yesterday--yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of you and your free quilts, as I've been able to do some sewing this week! For now, just accumulating my scraps in uniform sizes...just like you advise:) It's a start! Love the Veggie Soup, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is gorgeous! I am new to the leader/ender concept but it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And as usual, your photography is perfect... love the bike!

    I really need to get organized and and start using leaders and enders. I'm all about a free quilt!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a perfect use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so colorful and fun, just love it! You have another GENEROUS gift made. Somebody will be very happy...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful creation from Carla!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilt, and the soup sounds delish!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huge fan of your colorbox quilt and I've been adding to my box of 2.5" squares getting ready to make it my 2012 leader ender quilt. This one is just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quilt. It looks so soft.
    I also cook down the turkey bones and the next day I make a turkey minestrone soup adding some jalapeno pepper for a little zing. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the concept of "scrap" food and scrap fabrics. Wonderful. Now I am going to read up on the free quilt info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sewed this between May and December?! Wow! It's really wonderful. So bright, fresh and happy. How generous you are to give it away too! Thanks for sharing your scrap-saving tips. I'm doing this now, being really frugal and cutting 1-1/2" squares. I'm feeling very self-satisfied, and will enjoy seeing what comes of sewing leaders and enders. Thanks for showing us your darling quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla, this is so bright and cheery. (And of course, you always thrill me with your photography!)

    I MUST start using leaders and enders--resolution for 2012!

    ReplyDelete