Monday, April 1, 2013

Dipped

The quilting is done and the binding is on. I can call Dipped a finished quilt.
Pattern by Modern Quilts from Classic Designs
 I wanted the quilting to mimic paint dripping down the quilt, from light to dark, so sewed organic lines with my walking foot and turquoise Aurifil 50 thread.
The solid fabrics are various aqua blues that I had purchased on close-out from Connecting Threads. Both the backing and grey background print on the front are Mod-century by Moda. Orange dots by Amy Butler were perfect for the binding.
 Measuring 30 inches square, the little quilt will be a good table topper. For some reason the backing fabric looks like shish-kabobs to me and makes me want to heat up the grill!
Modern Designs for Classic Quilts
You can find the pattern for this quilt, along with lots of other beauties, in Andie Johnson's great book, Modern Designs for Classic Quilts.

21 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea!! I love how it turned out - thanks for sharing!! This one will be pinned to my Quilt & Sew board (hope you don't mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really wonderful! What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ALL the color!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quilt! What a gorgeous effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! I love the color transition! It really resonates with the whole hombre look we see everywhere that I blame on pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has become one of my favorites of your quilts...I really like the pattern, and the Mod century and the blues, all together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever quilting! Good for you ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt! I especially love the colour variation across the design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOO! such a pretty quilt. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very beautiful quilt. I am drawn to the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! At first glance, the Mod Century blocks appear to be pieced. And I really like the color-change background. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a stunning quilt. You did a wonderful job with the colors and pattern. Quilting is wonderful....this is a very successful, stunning quilt. A+ (I'm an old Home Ec. teacher too).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! I absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Those are some of my favorite shades of aquas. Your organic quilting suits it perfectly. Hope you got the quilting tension worked out this go-'round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful little quilt! I love the contrast that the orange binding brings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love this quilt! I love Mod Century. It's one of my favorites these days. Love this pattern and your combo of fabrics. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Intended effect achieved! It looks really lovely. Just beautiful gradation. :-)

    ReplyDelete