Monday, November 14, 2011

Fence Line

Here is my entry for the Habitat Challenge in the Modern Quilt Guild. I've been wanting to do a quilt using several shades of white as the background and decided this was the perfect time. Because the fabric design isn't really my usual style, I also thought that cutting it into small pieces would make it more to my liking.  
Creating the blocks looks more complicated than it really is. I used Linda's instructions for swap blocks I'd made for her a few months ago. Piecing a few random Habitat bits here and there into the border helps carry the theme to the edges of the quilt. My quilting is just simple wavy lines running vertically throughout the quilt. (I had to do something easy since I'm still hampered by a cast on my hand.....Although, wait! I usually always do something easy anyway!)
The sky blue back has an inset of the gravel colored border fabric plus one strip of each of the six Habitat fabrics used to make the front. I also added a piece of selvage as testimony to the challenge. The binding is a dark grey Habitat dot with 3 sections of orange solid spliced in.
My idea for naming the quilt came from seeing fence posts around a neighboring field that all have a rock sitting on top them. The fence surrounds a field of pumpkins, so I added some pumpkin colors in two of the rows.  
I like the neutral, but funky feel, my quilt ended up having.  I'm glad that I participated in the "challenge" of using fabric that I would not normally choose! You can see other Habitat Challenge quilts here and here.

22 comments:

  1. A fabulous solution to the challenge of using fabrics that you didn't particularly like - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, this is perfect!!! I LOVE what you have done! The little pieces are perfect and the bits floating around in the border are genius!!! What a smarty you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a trooper, quilting with a cast!
    I really like how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this quilt. I was looking at some other blogs this morning and thinking about negative space. I just might try this for my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your color choices, the vertical feel of the quilt and the different whites background. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I really like the different shades of white you used and all the extra pieces of Habitat floating about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic!!! I LOVE this!! I love the white and taupe striped background! So neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so wonderfully! That gravel-colored solid is perfect with it. What a great finish for you. Are you giving it to Megan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carla that quilt is gorgeous!! I love it!! It would look great using little prints too :) Lovely background as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done it again! I love Habitat so I'm completely in love with this quilt. Nicely done!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A total success!! Even if it's not your style, it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely quilt! The simplicity of design and the colours are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla, that is beautiful!! You would never know it was from the Habitat Fabric. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic result! It looks really beautiful - marvellous texture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carla, I absolutely LOVE this quilt!! Wish we could make one together. You are amazing...on many levels. Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a marvelous job with the challenge! It's a wonderful quilt! Love all the little subtleties!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally love this. The different shades of white/taupe are absolutely inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful Carla. I have this quilt block bookmarked to make one day. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, can I just say you are my hero? I can't machine quilt WITHOUT a cast!! This is a really great quilt. I was not a complete fan of this line, but I really like this design, and the different shades you used in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sort of like a Chinese Coin, but the stacks are about to fall. Much more exciting! Love it!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful and interesting quilt. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete