Friday, March 25, 2011

Flanged Exquisite Block Tutorial

On my recent mother/daughter getaway to Omaha I picked up some lovely backing for the Exquisite No Prints Allowed quilt. Only now, I guess I'll have to change the name to
Exquisite One Print Allowed quilt. Or something.
 As promised, here is the little tute on how I added the narrow white strip, or flange, between the corner triangles and the background fabric.
 For each block you will need:
 2 corner triangles
 2 one-inch white strips folded in half and pressed approx. 6 inches long
l background square or rectangle
(*You can make these any size*)
 Start by aligning the triangle where you want it on the background.
(it's easier if it laps over a bit, as shown)
You will then scoot the white strip (with raw edges toward corner) to match the angle of the triangle, over lapping it by about 1/4 inch.
 Remove the corner triangle and lay it on top of the folded strip, with raw edges even.
 Take it to your sewing machine, and using a 1/4 inch seam, stitch the layers together.
 Repeat for the opposite corner. Note that the white strips are in-between the corner triangle and the background rectangle.
 Using a hot dry iron, press the corner triangle up toward the corner of the block, exposing the white folded strip (flange).
Flip the block over and trim the protruding corner triangle even with the corner of the background rectangle.
Turn the block back to the right side up and
Folding the corner triangle back down, trim away the background behind it.
 Repeat for the triangle on the opposite corner. You're done!
Now make a bunch more. The are fun to make.
 Set your blocks together in a pleasing manner and add a border like I did, if desired.
Find a great background and don't wait tooooooooo looooong to quilt it!

8 comments:

  1. I really like how you did that and love the fabric, how could you not put it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect border. My son lives in Auburn, an hour from Omaha. Where is the shop in Omaha. I may talk him into taking me when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see this quilt done. How are you going to quilt it? So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! Thanks for the little tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever place to put a flange. I've only considered adding a flange to binding. And your backing fabric is gorgeous - perfect with the quilt top. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial! I love this quilt - so modern and sleek and clean. Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, this is so beautiful. Thank you for generously sharing your technique. I can't wait to try this out. There might be some butterfly blocks before summer, fluttering around my sewing machine... (
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing this quilt in person! Weren't they all beautiful? And to think that your quilt found its sister quilt in the room as well. Thanks for the tutorial. Great instructions as usual!

    ReplyDelete