Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sharon's Projects

Last week I shared with you that I'm now quilting with the frame and machine used by my quilting friend, Sharon Brandli, who passed away last spring. While organizing her stash and projects a few weeks ago, we came across quite a few WIP's and it was difficult to decide just how to proceed with them. Here's Sharon a few years ago at a quilt show put on by our Modern Quilt Guild.
The three of us, who were there to help, decided to each take 4 or 5 projects and complete them ourselves and give them to a charity. The other projects will, hopefully, be finished and likewise given by other members of the guild.
I already managed to quilt and bind this cute windmill top made by Sharon using reproduction fabrics. An easy stipple design with Sharon's machine was all that it took to get this one ready for a little child in the Birthday Blessings program.
I think that Sharon had a soft spot for reproduction fabrics as there was also a hexagon quilt top among the WIP's.
The top is a little larger than the windmill design and is beautifully hand pieced.
It's even attractive from the back! I love looking at all of her little stitches and thinking of her working on it. I'm not sure where this will end up or how I will quilt it, but I do know that it's super special.
You can tell a lot about a person from their projects, I think. Here's another beautiful hand pieced hexie project. This one is a pillow top and it's even got some hand quilting on it. There are two other's that coordinate with it. After some thought, I've decided to finish them for my sofa at Christmas time. I'll enjoy this remembrance. 
Three sets of quilt blocks also made their way to my house for me to turn into quilts and to give away for Sharon. Giving quilts is a favorite thing for me. It's humbling, though, to get to be the giver of Sharon's handiwork. It also makes me think about the WIP's that I have in my own stash and ponder.
 It's easy to flippantly begin. It's something else completely to finish.

13 comments:

  1. You are a true friend and Sharon would surely agree! It must be bittersweet to complete these projects, but an honour too! The hexie quilt top is a real treasure..... It really needs hand quilting, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be difficult but what a wonderful thing you are doing! It makes one think about all those UFOs piling up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift that you are finishing up these projects. Just today I came across an apron that my best friend, Sue, made the year before she passed away. I nearly cried. But it is SO special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved reading this, Carla. So very much. Sharon was such a kind a genuine person. I miss her quilts and her presence at guild. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you as you honour your friend this way. We just lost my mom in law last week to cancer. She was only 70 : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful way to remember your friend. Blessings for all of you who are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Carla! What a precious burden you and your friends have undertaken to bear. Thank you for your thoughtful post, and sharing your friend's beautiful quilts with us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, its so wonderful that you all have taken such care with Sharon's quilts. I am sure it helps everyone heal from the loss and gives the recipients something truly special. What a lovely way to honor your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a difficult task. My heart is with you. Your work is so beautiful, whomever received these gift quilts is fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure Sharon would be glad to see her work finished and going to good homes.
    That hexagon quilt is gorgeous. It deserves the special treatment I am sure it will get in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful thing you're doing with your friend's WIPs. You're passing on her legacy and love for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was hoping you'd save something for yourself! I think the idea that you get to handle something that she did brings her closer, even though she is gone. Good for you for finishing up some of her quilt tops and sharing them with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "...to flippantly begin." Ah yes. That's the crux of the problem us quilters have. How timely for me to read this as I am contemplating whether to say "yes" to another a-long that friends are doing. My mind says "no," but my heart wants to journey with my friends and say "yes." What's a girl to do?! I sure love seeing Sharon's beautiful work, and how you're giving it greater beauty by finishing and donating it. It warms my heart. You warm my heart. You're a blessing to many people, Carla. Sharon would certainly be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete