Friday, May 17, 2013

Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival: Pearlz

I'm excited to finally be revealing my latest finished quilt: PEARLZ, a baby size quilt for my newest granddaughter, Pearl Violet!
 The name is a play on words, of course; I thought that the 3 Z-shaped chains across the width of the quilt looked a bit like strands of pearls. Thus, Pearlz for baby Pearl! 
The baby's nursery features the colors pink, yellow, and grey. The backing, by Bee in My Bonnet, is the perfect combination of all three.
Another Bee in My Bonnet print with little chandeliers made a great binding and frame for the negative space.
 I scattered more zig-zags across the surface of all that white with chunky hand stitches of pink, grey and yellow #8 pearl cotton.This was my first try at utility quilting and I found that I really enjoyed it and want to use it again soon.
Combining hand stitching with machine quilting made for an interesting texture, especially after washing. It also made the actual quilting part go quickly!
 The baby size quilt finished up at 40" x 50" and was quickly pieced using mostly scraps and Kona white. 
I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my entry into the Baby Quilt category of the  Blogger's Quilt Festival and, if you are new to Lollyquiltz, you will come back for another visit sometime soon! 
Now, I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and check out the rest of the Festival! Join me here!

AmysCreativeSide.com

32 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! It's so pretty, and so isn't your granddaughter, she looks precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's so fresh and clean, and the "pearlz" keep your eye moving... And ooooh, l want to squeeze (gently) that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty:) I love how you mixed hand and machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty quilt! The colors are so fresh and fun for a new baby, and Pearl is completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely baby quilt, Carla. Your hand stitching enhances its beauty! I love the name Pearl..... she is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The amount of quilting must have been a bit tiresome,but the outcome is absolutely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt and grandbaby :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love this quilt! especially with baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt and the baby are both super sweet!! Love the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet quilt (and an adorable baby!) The quilting looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A pretty quilt for a pretty baby! She is a little pearl! I love combining machine and hand quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute quilt for such a cute baby! I love her name too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely and isn't she precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Gorgeous quilting, even more precious Pearl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely idea. This is a gorgeous quilt for a gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How nice. Clean and simple. and what a precious baby. I like how you carried the chevron design in your quilting past the fabric chevron.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! But that baby is stealing the show!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely lovely, Carla. Simply sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely quilt for lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what a beautiful quilt and an even more beautiful baby. Welcome to the world baby Pearlyou are so sweet. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love what you did with the free motion quilting/big stitch combo. That seems to be my favorite way of big-stitch quilting too. Your design is so effective, and the fabrics work perfectly. So well done! Do you always wash your quilts when you're finished? I've noticed lately that it seems quite a few quilters do. Am I the only one who doesn't? Should I be?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your little quilt is just fabulous - aaawh, I want to make one straight away! You've won me, I'll!
    Hugs - Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you added yellow to the pink, grey, and white! It makes it all come alive for me, and it's so lovely to see it in use by baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! It's gorgeous. And every girl needs a set of pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quilt! Simple yet striking. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this quilt. So simple, but it's the kind of thing I would love to own.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty, simple design and your grandbaby is beautifully sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just discovered your blog today through a link from Quiltmaker Magazine on facebook. Your baby quilt is lovely! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful quilt. I love the machine and hand quilting together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a lovely quilt. I just love the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A bit late to the party but this quilt is oh so sweet and such a sweet granddaughter too.

    ReplyDelete