Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday Finish: Jelly Roll Race

Way back in May of 2012, I pieced this easy quilt top during a Jelly Roll Race at a quilt guild day retreat. It only took around an hour from start to finish, making it the fastest quilt I have ever made!
Since I had purchased some of all of Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fancy line, it was simply a matter of cutting a 2.5 inch strip from each to make my own jelly roll. Of course, you could use a pre-cut jelly roll.
The backing has been pieced and the binding made for months now. But everything stalled out as it laid unfinished on a shelf in my sewing closet waiting for quilting.
Last weekend, I finally layered top, batting and backing onto my Grace quilting frame and sewed figure eights up and down the rows. It only took a few hours to complete!
This bright cheerful lap quilt is one of 6 on my UFO Finish-A-Long list for this 3rd quarter, and I am pretty pumped to be able to check it off the list already! (Never mind that it was on last quarter's list as well.)
If you are looking for a fun and fast activity for your next quilting retreat, I highly recommend watching the U-Tube video and organizing this 1600 inch race with your group. You will be amazed at how fast it will go together. The winner in our guild pieced it together in about 45 minutes! 


Every quilt will look different even if the same fabrics are used because of the random way it is sewn together.
Well, I hope that you have a lovely weekend and maybe even get to spend some time in front of your sewing machine making something special!

13 comments:

  1. This is a great finish Carla- no matter which list it was on! And all the outdoor photos are wonderful too! I hope to get some sewing done on the weekend, and some photos - if it stops raining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cute/lovely quilt! Great in Flea Market Fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A finish is a finish no matter what list it is on ; ) I love these quilts and yours is fabulous done in those fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! i'm following suit with the finishes - i have 4 ufos right now, which isn't like me. need to bust these out. thanks for the motivation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make a quilt with those strips -- they look fast, fun, and satisfying! Your pictures are great! I need to find a fence to photograph with my quilts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful you showed this wonderful quilt! I have a quilting retreat in Sept, and we are making this project. I hope I win!! I am using the Moda PB&J jelly roll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done a couple of these for different charities and they always look wonderful and go togeher quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt, Carla! I've never made a JR quilt, but it certainly is a popular design, isn't it? The quilting you did on it looks perfect, and is well-suited to your design. It's a great finish, and I'm sure one that takes some of the load off your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just found your blog and what a lovely one it is too :0)

    The quilt looks great, I love the fabrics they go together perfectly. I've got two jelly roll quilt tops done and ready for sandwiching it took me a bit longer than an hour for each though lol. I'm pleased with how they've turned out though. I'm ashamed to admit I have about 9 tops ready for finishing I really need to set myself a goal.

    I've become a follower so I don't miss any of your great posts.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for you. I've never tried the figure 8 design, is it really that fast? This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting is the perfect design for that. What a pretty quilt. I'm really partial to this line, but amazingly have not purchased a single bit since I spent a small fortune on the original. However, I keep thinking I should get some larger pieces for a backing for a quilt top I made from the original...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Jelly Roll Race Quilt is on my someday list! But mine might be made of scrap strips that have to be sewn together to make "wof" lengths!

    ReplyDelete