Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Material Obsession

 As a little girl I often visited the quaint Pea Green Store back when it was still a little grocery and general store. It seemed the perfect place to take photos of my latest finished--the selvage quilt. I'm calling it Material Obsession.
Only if you grew up near Olathe or Delta, Colorado, would you even know that there was such a town called Pea Green. My mother attended grade school across the street in the now-abandoned brick Pea Green School. (Someone has since converted it into a house.)  The only other buildings in town are the Community House, where my parents used to attend dances, and an old run down house.
No one was manning the junk store, now housed inside the Pea Green Store, so my husband and I had fun using the building and old truck parked outside as a prop for photos of my quilt.
Peeling paint is one of my favorite backdrops for photos and there was no lack thereof. 
The few farmers who drove slowly by while we were shooting pictures probably wondered what were were up to, but nobody cared enough to stop and ask.
The back of my quilt is as cheerful as the front. I used a fabric called Wildflowers, in lime green, from the High Society line by Modkid. Yes, it came from JoAnn's and is one of their high quality (and-pricy-without-a-coupon) fabrics. I bought it because I did have a coupon!
 From the back, the straight-line quilting shows up well. Because the selvage blocks were all made on muslin foundations, I used Mountain Mist Light batting thinking that polyester would help to make the quilt not so heavy. It's a little poofier than I like, making me wish that I had just used a layer of flannel instead.
 Here's a good shot of the back showing off the big chevon X that I top-stitched onto the backing fabric. I wanted to mimic the X's on the foundation pieced blocks.
 I ran out of the black and white zig-zag Remix fabric, by Robert Kauffman,  when I only had a few blocks left to make. You can imagine how excited I was to find enough on-line for the binding as well!
 My quilt measures 60 inches by 72 inches and is the perfect size for wrapping up in on a couch.
 Finishing the binding on the long car ride from Missouri to western Colorado, I found it great entertainment to admire and read the selvages as I sewed and cuddled with the quilt! Probably only someone truly "obsessed with material", like me,  would think so, I admit!
I don't recall for sure, but wouldn't be surprised to learn, that the infamous Pea Green Store once sold fabric up those old concrete steps!
 Instructions for creating my selvage blocks can be found here. Apparently it's not just me that's become addicted to fabric and quilting. I might need to check the roster of Quilters Anonymous to find out if my husband might be a secret quilter? Could yours be one, too? 
 We'll find out August 1!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is so wonderful! I love the black chevron and the back.....well......it is amazing. Love ALL of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! That black and white fabric is so perfect with all those colors.
    I also love that green truck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, what a great quilt. Glad you found enough fabric for the binding, it's perfect .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed the story if your parents! How fun to see where it all began. Great place for a photo shoot. Your quilt is wonderful. I love the black and white. Helps make the colors pop. Great backing too! Lime green, such a fun color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out SO lovely! Perfect 'sashing' and binding imho! And what a terrific photo shoot - just really lovely all around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Carla! Where do I start?! It's gorgeous. That black and white is just perfect in there. That old truck is just the best too! Love everything about it

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cool quilt Carla! As others have mentioned, the black and white zigzag feature fabric is so perfect! And what a fabulous name! Congratulations on a brilliant finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. Just really gorgeous. I have bookmarked your tutorial. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Carla, I love it! And the pictures are awesome too. What a great backdrop! Love your blocks and the name suits it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt, especially the sashing and quilting design! Wonderful backdrop too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a great quilt! I love all the color! And that store and truck were the perfect back drops! I am often amazed at the fantastic fabric that can be found at JoAnns. They have really improved the selection. Great finish, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilt and love the photo shoot! so so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet and and aptly named quilt! I have loved the peeks you've given of this one, and the finish is a real stand-out! And thanks so much for sharing Pea Green with us! If I EVER see ANYone out shooting their quilt I will certainly care enough to stop!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a beautiful quilt and your photo shoot is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is just such a beautiful quilt. The photos in context make it look even better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this post! Too much wonderful to count!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is stunning, Carla! I never cease to be impressed with your color choices. That black and white Remix print makes all the colors pop. You have such a gift and have wowed all of us with this post. Great photography too! I wanna live near you so you can ooze your talent over me, and make my quilts look good in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is no way my husband is a secret quilter.
    There are simply no words to describe this quilt. Brilliant work and amazing photos in Pea Green. I love it.
    It includes a frightening number of selvedges; there is no pretending you haven't a sizeable stash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love all the photos of your quilt. Such great settings for a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous quilt, and I'm slightly surprised to find out that USA has tiny country towns too! Your small towns are often much like our large towns out here in Australia. I live in a town of about 1000, surrounded by farm land. Pea Green looks peaceful! I love vintage backdrops for photos too.

    ReplyDelete