Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fitness Friday on Sunday 4 and a tutorial!

Eighteen. 
 That's the number of pieces of fabric I got to add to my blocks for the Improv(E) Your Butt fitness challenge.  I don't think I'll reveal how many weeks it took me to add that measly number.  I'm not very proud of it, that's for sure, but, hey, today is the beginning of a new week! The pretty weather is perfect for walking, so I'm planning to do better.
 A few weeks ago, I promised to show you how I am making the bricks I'm using to make my Improve(E)  quilt. Here we go: These are the bricks in all their glory.......(whatever) They measure 3.5 in. X 12.5 in.
Here's how I made them:  For each brick I need 1 brick fabric that measures 3.5 in. x 12.5 in. and 1 background fabric measuring  3.5 in. x 4 in.  I cut the background in two at an angle.( I vary the angle and measurement for each brick.)
Next, I lay the two background parts onto the brick, extending at least a half inch past the end of the brick. Note that the angled end is toward the inside of the brick.
Then I lay a ruler along the edge of the background piece and cut the brick at this angle.
Remove the cut-off section of brick from underneath the background. Flip the background over onto the brick and pin. 
Then stitch the background sections to the brick. (Sorry about the change in fabric there!)
After pressing, It's simply of matter of trimming the block to 12.5 inches and your done!



It only takes a few minutes to make each brick....a lot less than it took me to walk the three miles to earn the three pieces of fabric!
How are you doing on your fitness program?  You can join the Improve(E) challenge at any time!





5 comments:

  1. Love these blocks! Thanks for the tutorial. Have fun walking this week!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking about each piece of fabric representing a mile makes me a little crazy and a lot proud...i know my quilt is going to mean a lot to me when it's done....good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very interesting. Can't wait to see the finished top.
    Mary
    marinandcolusa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I saw a quilt tutorial by you using large floral prints. If I remember they were large square and rectagles divided by white strips. Love your blog. Sonia

    ReplyDelete