Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Start

What better way to begin the year than to start a new project? There isn't one, I don't think....unless it also includes joining a new quilting bee!
 I'm excited to be doing both, and to add a cherry on top, January just happens to be my month and I get to choose the project!
Here is my block warming up the freshly-fallen-first-day-of-the-new-year-snow...
...and here's the easy way to make it, just in case you'd like to know...

Easy Churn Dash Tutorial
For each 6 inch Churn Dash:
Background fabric: (1) 4.5 inch square, (1) 1.5 inch X 10.5 inch strip, (1) 2.5 inch square
Churn dash fabric: (1) 4.5 inch square, (1) 1.5 inch X 10.5 inch strip
 Step 1: With right sides together (RST), sew the two 10.5 inch strips together along the long edge. Press seam toward the dark fabric. Place the two 4.5 inch squares RST, and sew around all four sides as shown below. Press flat. (Very important!)
 Step 2: Use your rotary cutter to cut four 2.5 inch sections from the strip set.
 Step 3: Use your rotary cutter and ruler to slice the 4.5 inch square into four triangles along the diagonal as illustrated below. (A small cutting mat that can be rotated is helpful with this step so that you do not have to move the fabric itself.) Press seams toward the dark.
 Step 4: Using a clear ruler, trim the pressed half-square triangles to 2.5 inches.
 Step 5: Lay out the nine sections into 3 rows and sew block together as shown.
 Press these seams open as shown below. (This becomes important when sewing your four blocks together.)
 Your finished block should measure 6.5 inches.Now Make 3 more.
 Aren't they fast, fun, and easy!
Sew the four blocks together to make a 12.5 inch block. My color scheme is right off the hot side of the color wheel...red, pink and orange with some white thrown in like whipped cream on a dish of jello! The crazier the fabric combinations, the better, too!
Have fun! Are you starting the year off with any new projects? I'd love to hear about them!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! These are fabulous! I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I've made so many churn dash blocks (that was my swap with Edith that resulted in my Dashing the Churn quilt) that I can do this one in my sleep! Yay! And your color choices are fab. This is going to be fun to sew. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like great fun! Love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will get started this week ; ) very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite blocks! Your colors are fabulous.

    Hope you have a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose this exact block for my Stash Trad Bee - I love it all scrappy and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Carla!!! Churn dash blocks are one of my favorites! Love your colorful fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute blocks! Great choices - and I can not wait to see what this bee comes up with this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I finished your block! If I wasn't so full of self doubt I'd post it. Maybe tomorrow when I can see it in the light. I'm doing another bee and by coincidence I asked for a churn dash block, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love warm colors! This is certainly a fun choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've made this block so simple - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked out that manner of sewing around the squares and cutting them diagonally about a decade ago and everyone said I was wrong and that they would be wrong because of the bias. I chuckled when a year ago or so someone recommended a tutorial on Minnesota Quilting site which did the same thing, I pulled out my original box of blocks.somehow the joy was stripped from my lovely idea. But I might finish one day and I am glad to see someone else using the method. I am sure someone did it before I did...just that I did work it out for myself and felt quite smart until firmly squashed by the quilt police.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry that was Missouri Star Quilt Co. that had the tutorial. Too late at night for this Aussie to think clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial. I must start a new year a couple times a month at the rate I start new projects. LOL. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great way to start, Carla! I'm super excited about this bee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for this fas tute on Churn Dash, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete