Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Janie Sue

Today, I want to show you a very special quilt....
The fabrics used to make "Janie Sue" are all from one line of fabric by Heather Bailey called Nicey Jane. There are lots of green leaves....
and sweet pink accents....
among the yellow and blue blooms.
The fun wonky blocks were made by the members of the Nittany Block Party,
an online quilting bee that I was a part of in 2010.
I procrastinated on putting the blocks all together for some silly reason. 
Each of the 12 members made two blocks using Nicey Jane fabric strips, that I mailed to them, coupled with some Kona white. There were few rules other than making liberated log cabins that would finish up at 12 inches square. I added a few more to make the collection into the thirty blocks needed to make a twin size quilt.
The backing is a favorite print from the fabric line called Church Flowers.
It reminds me of a vintage sheet. I decided that I wanted to use the tangerine print 
as a binding long after most stores were sold out. I was so tickled to find it patiently
waiting for me at the Sew to Speak Shoppe when I visited in September!
Originally, I had planned to just set the blocks together with white sashing.
That seemed a little too safe though, and I ended up inserting leftover Jane strips 
here and there  to add a little more color and wonkiness.
The quilting is an all over pantograph design quilted by Mindy Peterson,  a member of 
 The Blue Valley Quilter's Guild that I belong to. She did a fabulous job! 
I love how the design looks like custom quilting but at a more affordable price!
This little Janie Sue will have to grow a bit before she's ready for a "Big Girl" bed.
But when that day comes, I've got a quilt with her name on it!
Disclaimer: The reason it seems that I have been making a bunch of quilts lately (as some of you have observed) is that I've had a kick in the pants to finish up some of my UFO's to use in a trunk show and presentation next week
for the Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild. Deadlines are good for me!



11 comments:

  1. This quilt looks fantastic! I'm so glad you decided to finish it. I love the tangerine binding you used. Also, I think it was a great idea to use the left over strips. It really adds to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, delicate quilt for a little girl. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite lines! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt. Love the quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a deadline to get me moving! I love this fabric and have yet to make anything with it...gorgeous grandchild, she is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your speaking engagement! Hope you'll speak at KCMQG too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited that you're coming to Des Moines! We'll have such a good time. And I'm predicting a BIG guild turnout... mark my words. Point people to our Des Moines MQG website at: http://www.DSMMQG.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! In big letters, for a big girl
    ; )

    Would love to try something like this. I like the playfulness and the lovely showing off of the bigger prints. The back is just beautiful, too. And the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is lovely and little Janie Sue is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt! Did you follow any pattern? Do you sell patterns or know where I could find one like this?

    ReplyDelete