Thursday, January 26, 2012

What is it?

A few weeks ago I tempted you with this........ and you probably wondered, 
"What in the world?"
Now does it look like anything familiar?
 Go on. Keep staring at it. You'll get it.
 If you said, "Oh, that looks like a bunch of teeny, tiny,  little squares QR Code.", you would be right!
 According to Wikapedia, the QR (Quick Response) Code was first created by the Toyota company, in 1994, to track vehicles during manufacture. Since then, the black and white code has become one of the most popular types of two-dimensional bar codes and allows a product to be decoded at a high rate of speed. You see them everywhere: on the back of cereal boxes, in magazine ads, promotions for tourist attractions..... I even saw one in my church bulletin last week!


 I always think the codes look like little quilts, so decided I should have one of my own..In my own colors though...no black and white for me! Two colors are a bit boring, so I  added an accent too....a place for your eye to land!
Wanting the code to represent Lollyquiltz, I hid some personal information among all those little squares. Maybe you can spot them....my initials, a face and a cross. I know the piecing looks daunting, with all those mosaic tile size pieces, but I figured out a slick way to get them together without losing my mind completely! It's not perfect, but then, neither am I.
A larger wall-quilt version is in the works now and I'll be leading a workshop on making this fun project at the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild retreat in late March. What colors would you choose if you made your own QR Code?

10 comments:

  1. I have always thought that they would make a great quilt too. I just wasn't sure I would have the patience to sew it out. Love the red square idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! What size are all those squares???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been giving that some thought but I haven't decided yet. I love this idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is really interesting and very creative! I cannot imagine working with those teensy tiny little squares.... but I'd sure love to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so darned clever! I'm just marveling at how some minds work. Yours sure goes for the unique and quirky, and I love it! So will your guild at retreat. What a clever duck you are! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the QR code used in large quilts, but never on a pillow. Love it! Also, I didn't realize you could put a photo into QR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Those squares look tiny. How small are they?

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea, Carla.

    Oh, orange of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very cool idea! So impressed by all the small pieces....
    I'm with Carla, I would use orange. Maybe with a light blue.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete