Thursday, June 26, 2014

What's Your Favorite Color Today?

Do you have a favorite color? It's always hard for me to decide on one. (Truly, lately, it has usually been some shade of aqua.)
When my granddaughter, Haven, learned at an early age that my favorite color changed almost daily, it quickly became a little game we played together. She would ask my favorite color and then when I'd say "apple green", or "sky blue", or some other fanciful hue, she would always exclaim, "That's the same as mine!"
As Haven has grown older (she's eight now) and asks the color question less often, her little sister, Maelie, age five, has taken over the game.
The sisters recently began sharing a bedroom and their mommy thought that it might be fun for them to have look-alike quilts. Using charm packs from four different lines by Bonnie and Camille, I've created fraternal twin quilts for their bunk beds.
I'm calling the quilt on the left "What's Your Favorite Color, Maelie?" and the one on the right, "What's Your Favorite Color, Haven?" The charm collections: Vintage Modern, Marmalade, Happy-go-lucky, and Scrumptious all worked  together well.
All of the navy charms from the various packs went into Maelie's quilt. The dark fabrics keep your eye moving around the simple design. I also added some white/orange Michael Miller dots to the mix.
For Haven's quilt, I added in some brown floral squares by FigTree. I also sorted out the red charms from the packs and set them aside for another project. 
Both quilts were simply quilted with loopy designs. This one on Haven's quilt I call "eel". Can you see why?
 The backing for both quilts features a favorite print from the happy-go-lucky line in four different colors: grey and orange for Haven; aqua and yellow for Maelie.
 I didn't include any charms from the Ruby collection by Bonnie and Camille, but I did manage to snag some yardage of the darling pink scallops from that line for the bindings on both quilts.
I'm excited to be giving the quilts to the girls when they come next week to celebrate Independence Day with us. 
I wonder what their favorite colors will be?

16 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely!!! And your little game so sweet to hear about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple yet so pretty! Love them! Isn't it fun how little girls relish having favorite colors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable!! Fun game and beautiful quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!! They are both very pretty!!!! Wonderful way to give them the same but different!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, both quilts are so beautiful! Really wonderful colour- and print mix! Sounds enjoyable Project to make two similar quilts for two sweet little girls! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much cuteness! These are fun quilts, and I bet you had a good time putting them together. The girls will absolutely love them. I vacillate about favorite colors too. Mostly I think it's aqua, and then it's orange. Have you seen the darling new Janome compact sewing machines that come in Turbo Teal; Blaze Orange; Lightening Pink; Purple Thunder; etc.? They weigh only five pounds, and I've been tempted to get one. The only negative about it that I can see is that I can't see... there's no light on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post Carla. I love the two quilts. I've been dying to do a simple patchwork quilt. Soon
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilts for two special little ladies. They are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sweet girls, you are blessed. I know they will love their new quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun game. The twin quilts turned out beautiful and are happy quilts! I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't seem to be able to pick a favorite color. All are so pretty. If I had to pick one favorite today it would be aqua, or maybe lavender, or yellow. Not sure. This must be why I favor working on scrappy quilts because of all the pretty colors. I like cheerful quilts but every fall I love the beautiful fall colors. Two colored quilts are gorgeous, just harder to keep my interest while working on them. Love the end result though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a totally delightful story! These are adorable, and different enough to avoid arguing. They will be thrilled to get such a great gift from grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the quilts. beautiful for sure. my favorite color varies by day and hour and minute, you see, i love all colors

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a lot of charm packs, and don't they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! they are going to love them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that y'all have this fun game to play together. Both quilts are beautiful and I'm sure the girls will cherish them. So happy you get to gift them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was such a fun story to read. I'm sure the girls are both thrilled. And you find THE best places for quilt photography!

    ReplyDelete