Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wobbly Windows Quilt

The sun was shining and the sky so blue that I couldn't resist getting out into the crisp air to take some pics of my rendition of That Girl's Quilt-Along quilt. 
 The last stitch in the binding was still warm when I put the quilt in my little PT Cruiser and drove down the road a few miles for some "destination photographs"! Taking the pictures is part of the fun for me and I love finding unique spots.
The  wonky square-in-a-square pattern looks a bit to me like windows with white trim on a beige house, so I named it Wobbly Windows. I love the reflection in the windows of the doors, don't you?
My organic quilting lines came out lots better than I had hoped.  Half way through the stitching, I was in a panic that I was ruining the quilt with each line that I added. I'm not very proud of the way the back of the quilt looks because of some thread tension issues, but after a run through the washer and dryer everything looks better! I'm partial to the puckery look.
The fabric in the "windows" is  Boutique by Moda. I used Kona Snow for the window frames and Kona Taupe for the background. The pattern calls for a charm pack of fabric so not having any yardage, I had to go on a treasure hunt for a half yard of Boutique to make the binding. Fortunately, I found some at my local quilt shop, but I'm glad I didn't wait too much longer or it would have been gone forever, I'm sure.
The back of the quilt is one big wonky square-in-a square with the center a multicolored swirly fabric that I found in my stash. The colors are the same so I thought it worked. I'm sorry now that I didn't take a picture of the back...you might be kind of sick of looking at the front by now! I took so much delight in doing this photo shoot that I'll just go ahead and show you one more ....... 
There was no one around to bother me so I got a bit carried away!
 Enjoy your Thursday!


17 comments:

  1. I love it!! The name is perfect and I can't help but notice that the barn matches the red in the quilt. Your quilting turned out beautiful too!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is fabulous as is the background...and I am most jealous at your lack of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt and the photos of it are amazing. Beautiful work. The brown/taupe fabric between the blocks make them pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is lovely, it almost looks tasty :-)
    such a great quilt and i love the pictures, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wobbly Windows looks awesome! The photo spot is perfect. You are so brave to be public about where you take quilt pictures! Love the Kona snow and taupe. You make me want to be daring and give solids a go. Soon, soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your pictures and happy to see your finished "that girl" quilt. And happy to hear your heart singing in your post (sounds a bit hokey for me to say, but true).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I love the solids you used to make those blocks POP! I am inspired--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That name is perfect!!! Can I bring some of my quilts to your place for photography?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt turned out so well, and I love what you called it!
    Your photo location is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt. I have a charm pack that I might have to make up like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carla, this quilt is awesome!!! Where's all your snow? The barn is so pretty. Love your organic quilting. I'm going to try them soon. Are you keeping this one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your quilt looks. I think I might do this quilt along soon since I really like yours. The weather looks so nice where you are (we still have snow and are expecting freezing rain then rain then the river will flood and the county drain will flood our yard and basement) the joys of living in michigan and having a high water table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt and posting too!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful...I thought about quilting mine with lines too! it's still not done! Maybe next week. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous quilt...I love the barn, too! It reminds me of trips back to Iowa to visit relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty! I'm going to have to try the organic straight line quilting sometime. This looks so good! I just wish I didn't get so many puckers and gathers when I straight line quilted!

    ReplyDelete