Thursday, July 4, 2013

Great Granny's Independence Day

I had the 4th of July in mind when I chose the color scheme for my Great Granny quilt started way back last July as a quilt-a-long with Bee in My Bonnet. You can read about my beginnings here.
 You probably would be surprised to know that the main road near my home is transformed, mid-June every year, into Fireworks Alley! Some years we have counted up to a dozen fireworks tents within a few miles of our house.
What better place to photograph an Independence Day quilt than at a fireworks stand!
Even though the owner of this one sent her 12 year old son out to watch over me (Just in case I had other motives in mind, I guess.) while I snapped pictures, I think they were intrigued that I cared that much about photographing a "blanket".
 I tried out a new quilting design for the quilt background that I call Curly Q's, though the squiggles look more like the letter "C" than "Q", really. The granny squares are stitched with a folk artsy orange peel design. (I call it folk art because the curves are so wobbly!) LOL!
I almost used a red and white stripe for the binding, but in the end chose navy Glimma which doesn't compete with the design as much, I don't think.
This little stand wasn't seeing much traffic while I was there, so my boy "guard" said that he didn't really have anything else to do. He wondered if I'd made the quilt all by hand like his grandmother does. (I quickly told him "no!") He didn't have a quilt of his own he said, and I told him that was too bad and maybe he could ask his grandma to make him one. I wonder if he will. He was such a nice boy that I wanted to make him one myself!
All the guys and kids in my family will be hitting the fireworks stands in the afternoon getting ready for the evening celebration held every year in our yard.  I'll tell them to be sure to visit Papa Pyro's, who were nice enough to let me use their tent for my pictures!
To everyone in the USA: Happy 4th of July! 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful quilt! It is so festive and....well....patriotic! Thanks to all the service men and women out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, Carla! I love the colors. I did the orange peel quilting on my (regular) granny quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific quilt Carla and great photos. The perfect setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt finish! It is a beauty! And what a perfect setting for your taking your photos! Tell me- are all those tents 'selling' fireworks? How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt and love the pictures! What a perfect setting! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful and the colors are quite appropriate for July 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story and the quilt looks great. How were the fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful again Carla! Fun photo shoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever to photograph your quilt there. That's awesome. Too funny that they gave you a body guard. I love your quilt. I think that blue binding is just the right touch. Your curly q quilting is the perfect touch. Someday I'll make one of these. I do adore them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a pretty quilt, Carla. The colors are lovely together. I admire your bravado at being able to walk up to a retail establishment to ask about taking pictures. The location is great! You did a beautiful job with the quilt - your meander quilting suits it - and the photos. I hope your Independence Day was fun, though I already know it was since you shared it with family. Such a good time for all of you.

    ReplyDelete