Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Finish--Blueberries Table Runner

For at least twenty years, I have been collecting blue and white dishes. Some are antiques, but most have been purchased from T.J. Maxx or Marshall's (two of my favorite places to shop) as I have run across them over the years.
 There are very few repeats and if I break a dish it's no big deal as there is always another to take it's place. We eat off of them almost every day and I still am not bored!
 So, ten years ago, I decided to make a blue and white table runner to go with the dishes. Somewhere along the line, after all of the hexagons were made, I lost interest for whatever reason and put the project in the UFO closet where it has stayed until recently.
 How foolish of me to have procrastinated! I am just loving the finished table runner and don't feel like it is too dated even after having been laid aside for a decade! Hexies are really "in" right now, right.
 The pattern is one by my friend, Robin Askins, and was created for a local quilt shop, Harper's Fabrics, to use with their "strip club" program. Being a very generous 90 inches long, it will fit my table even with several leaves put in. 
 At first I was going to use some stash fabric for the back of the runner but changed my mind. I decided on a bright orange chevron fabric on sale at JoAnn to make a reversible runner that might be fun for cooler fall weather. The binding is by Denyse Schmidt and also found at JoAnn. I chose a simple quilt-in-the-ditch machine quilting with a medium grey thread and white in the bobbin. I think that my backing and binding add a bit of a modern vibe to the older project!
 As I was walking back to the house after photographing the table runner, I spied my distorted image in the back of hubby's black car....and couldn't resist one more photo! Hi!!
 What project have you been putting off? Maybe you will fall in love with it all over again! 
(This Spode bowl is one of my favorites.)
Have a wonderful weekend. Thanks for stopping by Lollyquiltz!

16 comments:

  1. Great work! It looks so cute! Usually blue is not my favorite colour, but these classic dishes together with your table runner convince me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you make me want to start collecting dishes! What a neat idea. Your runner is PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Carla! Blue and White is so classic. It's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's not to love here? I am so happy for you, enjoying an "old" project...I feel the same way, about daily, about my "anniversary quilt"(24 yrs in the making/finishing!), which now resides on my beautiful NEW bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla; it was great to finally meet you last night. I always love to see what your're bring. I also collect blue dishes so the runner was fun to see with the orange chevon back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lots of projects like this that I am putting off, but I don't worry because I find that when I look at them with fresh eyes sometimes I get a new idea I hadn't thought of before that just really works then I get it done in no time. Sometimes I just need to put it away for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table runner is lovely. I really should make one for my table -- some day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue and white dishes always make me think of my grandmother, who had Blue Onion and Blue Fjord dishes. I treasure the ones I have now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous blue and white Carla, both your beautiful table runner, and your lovely collection. I feel like a kindred spirit, I too collect blue and white china. Great isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! How wonderful to have this one finished and being enjoyed! The orange backing is a fabulous contrast to the blue hexagons! It's not old fashioned AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love blue and white dishes, though ours were special occasion ones. I think the runners great. I've got a few skirts I need to pull out again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhh! The dishes are so lovely! The table runner is fantastic! I love the orange on the back....it really pops with your dishes. Good for you getting things finished off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love this runner! That backing is so perfect. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Inspiration to finish up some ufos. I think the backing and binding choices really make this project feel updated and modern even though it's a decade old. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a visually beautiful blog post, Carla! The photos are so yummy! Your dishes are special, aren't they? And that table runner suits them perfectly. It's great that you finished this UFO, and especially that you're so daring to pair blue and orange. I couldn't have done it, but the effect is wonderful. You are so gifted at putting fabrics together. Just can't get past how short and wide-bodied you've become.

    ReplyDelete