Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Purple and Grey

For the last few days I have been putting together a collection of star blocks all sewn in purple....
 The stars, made by a group of ladies, have varied background colors ranging from white to beige. I had just purchased a yard of light grey Heath from Marmalade Fabrics and found that it worked well to tie all the blocks together. I love the subtle effect of the light grey, whites and purple together. The posts are made from fabrics found in my stash.
 At first, I was not going to put a border on this quilt wanting to emphasize the stars. In the end, I went for more of a traditional look which I'm thinking that the recipient will enjoy. (Marble apparently thought this would be a good time to check the bird house for inhabitants!)
 The coal Kona and brocade-looking purple fabric border give the stars a good frame as well as enlarging the quilt to a nice cuddly lap-size.
 It was fun to work with this color combo....one that I wouldn't normally choose for myself. It makes a serene quilt...perfect for twinkling stars!
I'm sending the top on to be quilted and it will soon be in the hands of someone who adores the color purple. (That is if I can bear to part with it!)

14 comments:

  1. It is lovely. I love the setting you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple and gray go together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very good! Love how you've put it together - just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Carla! Love that combination. You have rocked another quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fa-bu-lous! The stars all fit together so well with that light gray heath. What a great texture it has. And your Kaffe fabric (that purple teepee print) is perfect with the blocks and heath. Really nicely done, Carla. Thank you for your efforts and expense putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous stars!! I'm in love with that jaggy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely!!! The gray does tie it together! I would have never thought of it!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. You pulled this together in a most beautiful way. I'm learning to love purple and it is popping up in my projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! I love purple and grey togther!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!
    I do not sew but I love those colors together!!:):)
    I have alot of purple in my room and maybe......I will get a quilt for my bed in those beautiful colors!:):)

    Have a wonderful day!

    Trustinghim~

    Annamarie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great. (HA, Marble!!!) I may have to start buying purple fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I just started thinking about this today and had to come looking. Love how you put it together!!! :)

    ReplyDelete