Friday, September 26, 2014

Friendship x and + Quilt Reveal

It's an exciting day - the reveal of of my version of the Friendship x and + Quilt! Susan and I began swapping blocks a year ago - eight each month for eight months.
 I decided to put 5 of my 64 blocks on the back in the shape of a plus sign. The middle block serves as my quilt label with information penned on.
 Each month Susan and I chose 3 colors from our basic color pallet for making the swap blocks. I decided to group the resulting blocks by color on the front rather than scatter them around the top.
Trying to create a modern twist to this pattern, I added a large solid aqua plus sign. (Honestly, I'm not quite sure how successful this decision turned out to be.) 
 Straight-line cross hatching emphasises the large cross while an all over rose design is quilted over the scrappy x and + blocks. I quilted the all over design on my quilting frame but did the straight lines with my walking foot on my Bernina. 
 Several pink fabrics from my stash were pieced together with the 5 blocks to make my quilt almost reversible. 
It's always fun to photograph a quilt all rolled up. As you can see, I used Flea Market Fancy for the binding. The colors are the perfect compliment. 
 I love having this token of the long distance friendship that Susan and I enjoy...all because of blogging. 
 The colors remind me of the opposite seasons that Australia and America enjoy. I think that I might even name it, "Opposite Seasons".
There were several other quilters who joined us on this fun friendship swap.
You can visit our flickr site here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2336168@N20/ If you posted about your quilt today, please let me know so I can list your post below for others to see. Okay!
Here's Susan's
And Cindy's
And Carla's
And Elizabeth's
And Heidi's
And Jane's

23 comments:

  1. I like what you did too! Nice modern touch. All the quilts I've seen so far are wonderful and I'm happy to have one. Thanks for starting this : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, your quilt is amazing!!! I have loved all the Friendship quilts I have seen so far. All beautiful and all different. I really like your layout and think the large aqua plus on the front and the four pieced on the back is a brilliant idea. Congratulations on such a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your use of the 'x and +' on the front and back is so unique and fun - a beautiful 2-sided quilt! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the big plus! And the color placement and the back... I guess I love everything about this quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla! I love your quilt! Fantastic idea to use the colours like you did and colours are really great! Also the backing is beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love LOVE the solid plus on the front, with the other blocks on the back, the color gradation--what a creative setting! This has been a truly wonderful experience. I'm ready to start another one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this quilt, front, back, large aqua plus, just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour gradation and what a very pretty back! And your photos are always special! What a fun experience this was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! I really like the colour wash effect and how it is reversible. What fun to see the same blocks finished so differently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done, Carla. I love the big plus sign, so in my eyes, it is a success! Love the Opposite Seasons idea, as you've also divided the quilt into cools and warms. Really a lovely job. I listed all the quilt tops I could find and their makers on my blog, too. We must be thinking alike!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. I went and looked at the others and they are all terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great journey Carla - love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fabulous. I like the aqua + in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is dreamy. It turned out wonderfully. What a fun year of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, it's a stunner!
    I would never have thought of such a layout.
    Sorry to say I haven't finished mine yet, I'm still piecing the rows together.
    It's been a fun swap. Any ideas for what's next!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love the gradation of colors balanced by that large cross in your quilt.. Concentrated colors on give this quilt amazing movement..Opposite Seasons is a perfect name for the swap you did across the continents. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the comment "what a fun year of friendship"! Both quilts are beautiful tokens of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowza! Wonderful Carla! I love the modern twist and the colors you chose! And the name is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love how you added the giant plus on the front and your back is beautiful. It's a really beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful Carla. You did such a greta job of laying out and balancing all the color. Love the large cross too. It really adds a fun focal point to the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's amazing! i love how your grouped the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the big aqua plus, but mostly I love how your blocks colour wash from one corner to the opposite corner. And oh to have painted rail fences like that to photograph quilts on! There's not so many of them in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this quilt. Where do I find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete