Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An Autumn Finish!

Here in the midwest, it's beginning to look a lot like Autumn......
 I'm always inspired by the colors all around me in October,
 and this year is no exception!
 The Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, near my home,
 always has the cutest fall display,
perfect for family picture taking...
This year some creative genius made this adorable train from sticks and barrels!
 I took the liberty of adding a little decor of my own to the scene....
The colors in my Hope Valley kaleidoscope quilt blend so perfectly 
with the mums and pumpkins!
 Hope Valley has been in the works for a year now, and I am more than excited
to have it finished.  All of the fabrics are from Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley line (thus the clever name!), except for the binding which is a Kaffe Fassett stripe. I made the blocks in a Quilt Along with Old Red Barn and Julie from Jaybird Quilts.
 I found the perfect chartreuse solid at Hancock's for the backing and paired it with the leftovers from the front.
 Angela Walters did the beautiful quilting. I told her to do anything that she wanted because I knew that I wouldn't be disappointed in any decision she made. She didn't let me down, quilting something different in every kaleidoscope block!
 Angela's echo stitching around the little hexies on the border remind me of chrysanthemums, reinforcing the autumnal quality of the quilt.
Now I have another reason to love Fall! 

25 comments:

  1. That quilt is gorgeous!!! And I miss fall sometimes, thanks for the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The quilting is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is spectacular! You have had so many finishes in the past couple of weeks....do you ever sleep? Good going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hope Valley! I love your quilt! And I love your beautiful Fall photos! Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of Hope Valley. I really like how you used the fabrics in this design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These fall colors are your colors!! You look so good in them. The quilt is awesome and very beautiful, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of Hope Valley, too - the more subtle colours really work in this quilt in particular. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful... both the quilt and the photo set. You have an uncanny knack for finding the best places for photography! I simply must start going everywhere with a ready-to-be-photographed stack of quilts in the back of my Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful ! Especially the border, I love the scattered bits of triangles and dots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures of Autumn! I miss very little from Ohio, but I really do miss fall and all the wonderful colors and the crisp evenings and that wonderful fall smell.
    I love your quilt, the border is just so creative and so different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is really lovely! I never had any Hope Valley, and am now sorry I didn't!! And the backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, first I was just loving your autumn photos...then I saw the quilt...they're both gorgeous! You really have a nice stage for taking the pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

    We're just beginning to see the turn of the leaves here in NY! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous quilt. Love it!! The colors are making me homesick for upstate NY, it happens every fall... :( Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. DARLING!!!!! I particularly love love the hexagons in the border. The quilting is indeed exquisite! Another amazing effort, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's stupendous! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is stunning and the backdrop is gorgeous! We are heading to Door County, WI this weekend to experience the colors of His creation. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt! And Angela's quilting is fabulous too. And lucky you to be coming into Autumn - a lovely time of year - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt (I never get tired of Hope Valley) and beautiful setting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Carla. I got my farmers wife quilt book this week! Looking forward to starting that quilt. I like your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my very favorite quilts! It is so pretty in its final stage. I have been in love since you first shared about this. It makes me pet my Hope Valley stash more fondly, every time I see it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely!! Beautiful work-piecing and quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely quilt, beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous quilt! I love the backing as much as the front. That's always a bonus quilt if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there a pattern for this quilt? there are a couple of blocks in there that I LOVE and must try! The pinwheel-asterisk looking ones! Love those!

    ReplyDelete