Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Crossings: A UFO Finish!!


 Squeaking in one more UFO finish for the 4th Quarter Finish A-Long with Leanne, She Can Quilt, I am so happy to show you this colorful quilt!
 The blocks were made for me by members of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild Scrappy Bee way back in 2011. I am excited to finally be cuddling with this quilt instead of shifting it around my sewing closet!
 I even found the perfect backing in my stash in the form of this cursive text print by ikea. 
 Straight line quilting is my favorite style for the texture it adds after a run through the washer and dryer.
Crossings is my second time making this pattern. The first quilt, X Marks the Spot,  was made in 2010 and was sent, along with others, to Rwanda where it now decorates the bed of a child at New Hope Homes.
Several have asked about the pattern for this quilt. You can find the original directions here. It's a great pattern for using up scraps!
Crossings is my second and final UFO finish for the 4th Quarter of the Finish A-long. My original list was for 3 quilts, so i will be moving the third project along to my 2014 list. Thank you, Leanne for doing such a great job of motivating me, and many others, to finish up our languishing quilts!
Take a look at all of the beautiful finishes here. If you've never tried committing to the Finish-A-Long, I highly recommend it if you like results.
For me, it meant eleven finishes in 2012 that probably would still be UFOs!

17 comments:

  1. Gosh, I love this!! You have me reaching for my scraps at this very moment! This pattern is definitely going o my 2014 'to-do' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!! That is one fabulous-o quilt! I love the pop of the brights against the black, and love the quilting. You are right--straight line row add so much texture and fun dimensionality to a quilt after washing. Great job!!

    Elizabeth
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the combination of the bright colors with the grey and white and I am crazy about the back! I love how big the cursive print is. The backing is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic finish! Yeah...congrats. This is such a happy quilt. I love the backing fabric. I have some that I am waiting to use someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, what a gorgeous dynamic quilt - just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow totally love this quilt, the colors, the design, just everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dark gray is perfect! It really sets off the other fabrics. I would like to make this pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exciting finish! I can't get over how crisp and GORgeous this is, all in one piece, after seeing glimpses here and there!!! Congratulations!!!! Sew well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous Carla! The colours just pop on that grey. Enjoy cuddling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! It will be another of your well loved quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like everything about this quilt! The grey...the little white borders...the white BINDING (ooOoOOO)...the straight line quilting. Pretty snazzy UFO to be sure! Kudos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Carla! I am a fan of straight line stitching as well. Great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt! The contrast among the reds, white, and black is great. And the quilting suits it. Is it a large quilt, as it looks? As for that backing, I love it! Next time I'm near an Ikea, I'm definitely looking for that. It works so perfectly with your quilt front. Super job! I'm very happy for you to have finished so many quilts in 2013. You're a do-er.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful quilt! I love the colors you chose for the exchange. I only wish I could have seen it close up at guild.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow another lovely finish and I love the black with all of the colour. Straight stitch quilting is the only kind I can do on machine so it. Is nice to see it on a quilt of quilter who does such beautiful machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete