Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Humble Red and White

I hope that you have gotten to somehow see the red and white quilts on display recently in NYC. Karen at the Selvage Blog has done a wonderful job of helping me feel like I got to attend, Infinite Variety, from way over here in Kansas City! If you have the time, look through her wonderful blog full of pictures from the exhibit. This is a photo that she took. Isn't it fascinating to see all of the quilts together!
I actually am the proud owner of an antique red and white quilt that I thought I would show you all today. Here it is in all of it's humble glory.........
 I love the simple and cheerful quality of this quilt. Red and white seems to affect me that way...maybe that's why I have a red and white kitchen.  Can you see how worn the quilt blocks are along the bottom center? I always imagine that someone sat in that exact same spot to put on his shoes every morning for many years. It has been very loved and I LOVE that! When I first purchased  rescued the quilt from a garage sale for $15, I basted the worn binding to the back and hung it on my red living room wall. I could see it through the window every time I drove into the driveway. It made me smile!
 Hand quilted and, I believe, hand pieced, it is a true treasure to me. I'm glad that I could keep alive someone's handwork many years later, be it so humble or not. Most of the time it lives folded up inside my mother's old picnic basket on top of my quilt cupboard reminding me that things don't have to be complicated to be lovely! 
Do you have a red and white quilt?

8 comments:

  1. Cheerful is the perfect word for that quilt. It looks very soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this antique red and white quilt! I can see why it means so much to you! How wonderful that you were able to rescue it for $15. I have a red and white (with a few touches of black!) that was made by my grandmother in the Jacob's Ladder design. When my things are out of storage I will post it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your red & white quilt is of simple design but beautiful to the eye. There is just something about the contrast of red & white that appeals to most people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! I have a red and white scrappy quilt on my bed. That color combination is classic and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt story is a wonderful addition to the various updates on the amazing exhibit! My Dad first alerted me to the exhibit thru a WSJ article, and Kate Spain blogged about her experience at the show, as well. Thank you for sharing your red and white treasure with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love red and white quilts...they are perfect in their simplicity! I do have a red and white quilt, but it is not in as good a shape as yours! It is just barely hanging together. So I have it folded and in a basket :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only do I love a red and white quilt, but I love two color quilts in general (one color + white). Yours is beautiful, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I DO have a red and white quilt! I made a "checkerboard" red and white for my oldest boy, out of red bandana fabric, and a red "cowboy" fabric, and white, squares are 4"! Yee Haw!

    ReplyDelete