Monday, October 17, 2011

Quilts in the Park


I belong to two quilt guilds. A few weeks ago, I showed you a beautiful outdoor quilt show put on by The Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. That day could not have been more perfect, and I was pretty sure that it couldn't happen twice. I'm so happy to report that I was wrong.... Another gorgeous fall day for another beautiful outdoor quilt show!
The Blue Valley Quilters Guild, in conjunction with the local Parks and Rec. Dept., displayed around 200 quilts in a casual setting at the Shawnee Mission Park near Kansas City. With highs in the low 70's and lots of sunshine, the weather could not have been more perfect for our quilt display. 



 Everywhere you looked, there seemed to be quilts in any color, style  and size...something to delight any preference! 
The fence surrounding the pavilion made the perfect rack for dozens of quilts of every description....
 Anything standing still had a quilt hanging on it...(I was excited to show some of my quilts, of course!)....
This beautiful Art Nuevo style quilt is an original design by Trish Price and is this year's Opportunity (raffle) Quilt for the guild.
Another popular money maker Saturday, was a display of gift baskets put together by guild members and won by random ticket draw...
The mini quilts lined up on these tables were sold during a silent auction....
Children attending the show with a parent or grandparent got the opportunity to use a sewing machine to make a pillowcase to take home. There were other fun crafts for the  younger kiddos along with an I Spy game to play with prizes for finding hidden motifs in various quilts on display. (I even liked playing that game!)
I can't end this post without showing you two quilts that I was smitten with. Both happen to be antique quilts that were used to cover tables inside the pavilion....


Love. Love. Love!
Hope you enjoyed the show!

11 comments:

  1. I want to visit Kansas City in the Fall! What FUN!
    And your quilts, all together, I love them all over again! As does my hubby, looking over my shoulder this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like beautiful weather and a fun day! I like the informal style of the show - nothing stuffy about it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful, Carla...wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another beautiful quilt show. I too am smitten with those last two quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second last quilt is my favourite! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts & beautiful weather - the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a gorgeous setting for some wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, that looks like a fantastic event! I love that kids got to make something to take home. Hook 'em early, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sure would have been fun to come see. Beautiful quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! Thanks for sharing! I will help set up and participate in my first "Airing of the Quilts" next April; I'm excited when I see posts like yours!

    ReplyDelete