Thursday, January 24, 2013

How to Wear Out a Seam Ripper

Frogging; unsewing; ripping out. Whatever you call it, sometimes you just have to 'Do It'!
Everyone needs the right tool to get the job done right. I've got several laying around...
 This one is the prettiest, by far! Isn't it gorgeous? Hand made, and a gift from my good friend, Cindy. I adore it. To be honest though, with it's rounded tip, I use it as a stiletto more often than as a ripper.
 Now this one; this one is my fav! It's made by Fons and Porter: ergonomically correct, sharp point and great cutting edge.  I just bought myself a new one for the Big Rip that I'm in the middle of! I wanted the sharpest tool I could find.
 Before my new one, this was my go-to seam ripper.Same brand, but see those little holes on the handle? Well, a certain dog actually stole it off of a table twice and I found her chewing on it! Scary! Now the metal part has a barb on it, so it's a bit annoying to use.
 "What's the Big Rip?" you ask. Well, here it is....stipple quilting....
 Yep! I'm removing all of the background stippling from my Farmer's Wife quilt. I'm almost halfway finished....Yay! It's slow going, but I just know that it will be worth it in the end.
 Each of the 110 six-inch blocks in this sampler quilt are beautifully and uniquely professionally quilted. Each one is different and I just love them. LOVE THEM!. While I have nothing against stipple quilting, and use it on many of my quilts, it just didn't work for me when paired with all of the custom work on the rest of the quilt. The professional quilter has agreed, graciously, to redo the background with something a little more creative.(Any ideas?) But first: The Big Rip must happen!
 After I'd spent several hours frogging, I learned from another quilting friend, that there was a more efficient way than my 'cut every fourth thread and then turn the quilt over and pull out the loose thread, then turn it back over and pluck out the small loose pieces' way that I was doing it. Here's what she taught me. 
First, slip the ripper under a thread and cut it. Pull out a few stitches...
 Grasp the end of the thread you just pulled out, and give it a tug, revealing the bobbin thread underneath...
 Now, use your seam ripper to cut that exposed bobbin thread...
 Keep pulling on the top thread and cutting the bobbin thread...you will be able to pull several stitches out at a time. As the top thread gets longer, I wind it around my fingers. You can see the little trail of hairs threads that are left behind. You will have to go back and remove these, but won't have to turn the quilt over to the back to remove anything.
 To keep my spirits up, I am collecting the ripped out thread in a pretty bowl. I usually set my timer for 30 minutes intervals and try to work when the light is good for these  tired old eyes of mine.
 The quilt looks pretty on my dining room table anyway. I hope this never happens to you, but if it does, now you know how to wear out a seam ripper! (Thanks, Sherri, for setting me straight!)
Oh, and I see that I need a manicure as well! 

23 comments:

  1. You deserve a manicure after this marathon! I'm wondering whether simple straight line cross hatching might look good in between the pretty blocks. I agree the stipple is distracting- I think you need to keep the rest simple? I look forward to seeing what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a beautiful ripper like your, but mine is green. Thanks for the tips on ripping. I have never ripped out the quilting on a whole quilt, but I know know two people who have. Wow. Quite an undertaking. My other friend's husband did it for her. HE is a farmer, so in the winter, when she was downstairs sewing, he sat in the rocking chair visiting with her unpicking the quilt. Nice guy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! What a job! I don't blame you a bit. If you're not happy with it, it will always bug you. In the long run ripping is always the right thing to do. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so valiant to be tackling this on your own. How nice it would be to sit with you at that table and rip-out, while chatting about everything that's important in the world - quilting! That's a good tip about ripping out... actually one I know, but really never thought it worth expressing. "Everyone knows how to frog, right!?" I also appreciate your seam ripper recommendation. I don't own anything F&P, and wouldn't have picked up that one because of the round handle. I usually avoid round-handled seam rippers because they roll off my sewing table. Now I'll have to reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to say... i'm really a) proud of you for taking time to rip a whole quilt and b) deciding to rip it. it's SUCH a glorious quilt, it deserves some equally glorious quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain! I've only done it on a lap sized quilt but it was still horrible. One thing I lived with during that was a lint roller. You wouldn't believe how many of those stupid little threads get left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminded me of when I ripped out my basket quilt - only that was hand quilting (and I took a picture of the thread:)). What a cool tip, I'll try that soon, I'm sure. Why are you taking out all the quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word! What a labour of love. I wish I had a suggestion for quilting, but I don't . Good luck deciding ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a coincidence that we both showed our Cindy seam rippers at the same time! Honestly, it just breaks my heart that you have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my~ i hope i never have to so this but if i do thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's some thread therapy! Speaking of seam rippers, I had my on the end table, Christmas day, so when there was a tough package to open I grabbed it. Wrong, I broke the tip. I found one almost identical to your dog chewed one at Hobby Lobby only a different color. It seems to be working for me for now. Of course I don't have any "big" jobs like you do.
    Did you see Sewing with Nancy on PBS this week? she made 18 inch doll clothes. I have it recorded but haven't had a chance to view it yet.
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! You have the patience of Job. I really don't mind unpicking, but that is quite a lot of unpicking. But I trust you will know what is right for your quilt...it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! What a job, at least you have a beautiful quilt to look at while you do it!! I have taken out half a quilt but never a full one, what a pity we all can't come over and give you a hand! Thanks for the tip, will try that next time. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is a job and a half! Good for you though for not settling, after all the work that went into that quilt it deserves to be absolutely perfect ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So do you wear it out by ripping or by feeding it to the dog? LOL

    Thanks for that tip -- I hope I'll never need it but it's certainly good to know. Good luck with your ripping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Carla! That's a ton of ripping. I was lamenting last night that my seam ripper seemed a little dull and was getting too much use and now I look at this and realize that I was whining and had nothing to complain about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my. As for quilting there are a lot of great Pinterest boards with beautiful quilting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you poor thing! What a waste of time, money and thread! I hope all the holes from the unpicked stitching disappear for you. I agree the quilt was too busy with the stippling. Perhaps you could leave the white areas un-quilted, therefore showing off the pieced areas? Your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Wow Carla, what a labour of love this job is! I am very friendly with my seam ripper, these two from fons and porter look great! I hope you can find the perfect quilting pattern for your beautiful quilt! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! I am adoring your setting for your blocks! I can't believe al the riping out! Wow what a project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I could go through this but I admire your spirit. I've done my share of ripping on longarm projects but nothing so daunting. Be sure to take breaks and sip some tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. That is dedication.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete