Friday, January 11, 2013

Finish Progress Report

Okay, so here's the scoop on my progress on finishing up some of my older projects. This week, I've been very focused on the Batman quilts that I'm wanting to finish as birthday gifts for my two grandsons. The boys recently started sharing a room and sleeping in a bunk bed that their Grandad made for them. One quilt top is complete except for a narrow grey border around the outside...
 The fabric finally arrived by UPS today. It took longer than expected, so I'm a bit behind...
However, I've gotten a good start on the second Batman quilt this week and am wading through the mess this type of improvisational piecing makes...
This quilt will be very similar to the first quilt, but I'm leaving out some of the "extras" and simplifying the piecing. I am also planning to use three shades of grey for the background rather than just Kona Coal, and am using scissors rather than my rotary cutter to add some wavy wonkiness to the frames. 
 Placed side by side, you can see that I have a ways to go in making the second quilt large enough for a bed...
 My goal is to get these two tops ready to quilt in the next week, so stay tuned!
The Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild is participating in a challenge to make a quilt using Madrona Road fabrics, by Violet Craft. We can add solids or solidish fabrics, more Madrona Road, and must include a traditional block somewhere in the quilt. The quilt reveal just got moved up a week because of a scheduling conflict to February 7. Ack! I better get going as I'm only half way through the piecing of my top. Here's a glimpse...
 I couldn't help myself! I had to make another churn dash block this week...
 Mary sent me one, too, so now I have three! I am so excited about how cute this bright color combo is going to be!
How are you doing on your UFO projects? Are you like me, and having to make room for them along with your new ones?

15 comments:

  1. Love the Batman quilts and the churn dash blocks. My post for today is (partially) about working on one of my UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it and you'll be done before you know it! I've resolved to just sew what makes me happy and try not to beat myself up this year about what remains unfinished. It will be quite a feat for me if I am in fact able to refrain from beating myself up about that - haha! LOVE your churn dash blocks - orange and fuschia - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your orange and pink churndashes! I never would have thought that batman fabric could look so good. I really adore those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Batman quilts are coming along so great! And I love all the churn dashes - I keep seeing them everywhere - I'm so excited to follow this bee's progress.

    I haven't even touched my Madrona challenge fabrics yet but our guild has made it really open so I'm not going to panic. Yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Churn Dash- mine will be on the way next week, I've been a bit tardy! Your Batman quilts are going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Batman quilts are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally in love with those Batman quilts - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are inspiring me to finish some of my UFOs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to get some Ford-Mustang fabric and make a quilt to go in the back of our convertible when we take it to shows, but I couldn't figure out a pattern to use. This type of a block pattern (like your Batmen) would work well with it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love your orange/pink blocks! Madrona road...mmmm! Those boys are going to love those quilts...a pair, but individual! Looks like great progress from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are giving me ideas, but I haven't bought any fabric yet!!! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your UFO's are great - the batman one is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far 2013 has been about ufos for me. I've not started anything new, but have been hanging out to. Want to get three more finished in January, then it will be all about new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the batman blocks - the quilts will be awesome! As for the Madrona Road Challenge. I need clarification about the solids: do they need to be solids from Michael Miller as well or can we use Kona solids or other solids? I wasn't quite sure.

    ReplyDelete