Friday, February 3, 2012

Robin's Blue Quilts

Robin is one of those quilter's with an awesome eye for color. I admire her work so much. She is also a good friend and a generous person who shows her faith by her works. She has taught many young woman how to quilt in her delightful sewing room as well as at the quilt shop where she spends a lot of time. Robin is always asking me if we are sending more quilts anywhere, anytime soon. These are the three gorgeous creations that she is donating to a small Rwandan orphanage this week. All three have a blue theme and two of them feature Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
I love the fact that the quilts being sent are each special and unique, like the children who will get them. They are thoughtfully made and not just "thrown together". Robin told me that this quilt is the result of a Round Robin Swap that she participated in, so several other quilters helped create it.
The medallion style quilt is heavily quilted in Robin's fun loopy style.
You may recognize this next quilt as a Cherry House design. I've admired the pattern many times. Aren't the colors restful? It's quite a large quilt. Perhaps it will be given to the widow who cares for the seven orphans living together in Kigali, Rwanda, where the quilts are going. Our hope is that each receiver feels the care and love that is sewn into every seam.
Robin's backing is a fun city-scape design. Since I've never been to Kigali, I wonder if the fabric design will seem foreign or familiar in Rwanda.
Shrubs, trees and dry grass are what I think of when I consider Africa. Perhaps the quilts will seem quite at home there just as they do in Kansas on a dry winter day.
Tomorrow, I'll show you the last of the Rwanda quilts. And then a parade! Who doesn't love a parade!

8 comments:

  1. Those quilts are beautiful! Its wonderful that they're going to orphans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are wonderful... and so is Robin for making some little kids happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts. Beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rwanda is anything BUT dry grasses!!! It is lush and hilly and truly beautiful...

    The quilts will be truly loved, I'm sure. = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. The joy these quilts will bring will be amazing. I just love how they photograh. She is very talented and generous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts! I made the City Lights quilt for my daughter and I still love it to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, these are beautiful. You are so right about Robin, beautiful spirt and so talented! She has taught me and so many others so much!

    ReplyDelete