Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sonic, the Hedgehog

Do you recognize this super cute guy? If not , let me introduce you to Sonic, the Hedgehog. My grandson, Oliver, knows all about him and loves to play video games where Sonic is the hero. When Ollie arrived at my house one day last week, he brought along his partially created, original rendition of this favorite spikey character. He twisted my arm to help him finish Sonic up using my sewing machine. How could I refuse?
It took two sewing sessions, more old t-shirts, some red socks and the stuffing from a rejected pillow to get Oliver's new best friend completed. Oliver gave me specific instructions as to how each arm, joint, and spike should be made. I tried my best to follow his lead as he did all of the cutting and designing.  Ollie went home with some grey t-shirt fabric and grey thread to add soles to the bottom of Sonic's shoes himself....a detail that O didn't think of till the last minute. My eight year old grandie is quite the inventor and crafter! He and Sonic kind of have matching smiles, I think...love them both! That was hard work though...think I'll stick with quilts!
 While the sewing machine was humming away, Ezra found time to make friends with our new puppy, Ginger. They both have nice smiles, as well! Do you sew with your little people?


11 comments:

  1. Cute Sonic and VERY cute Oliver and just as cute Ezra! You have more patience than I would have, I would have needed a pattern and all that good stuff. What a creative gal you are and Oliver is quite the creative young man as well.
    I have never sewn with grand children, but I did teach my two boys basic sewing by hand and by machine. I figured that it sure couldn't hurt them. Their wives seem really happy with their sewing skills, their cooking skills, their laundry skills and so forth!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great memory for years to come. A child's creativity and design skills are often amazing, they just don't have the making skills yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh this is so sweet! I love when kids are allowed to just create and have tons of fun with scraps. My girls used to make all sorts of things with scraps and tons of thread! Thanks for sharing - it looks like you are having a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that brings back memories. My son and husband played Sonic for hours when he was young. I still remember that music!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.... he is really creative! That is wonderful. That makes me think I should have taught my boys some basic sewing when they were young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable. It reminds me of a teacher I used to have who would take his sons little drawings and make them come to live through paintings.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, yes, my grandson and I shared a similar experience fairly recently -- he's all about Sonic as well. I'd love for you to check out my blog - projectniniquilts.blogspot.com, where I write about our quilt project - a quilt that I made for his birthday, at his request. The entry is called "A Gift for My Grandson".

    Your story and pictures are awesome! There's nothing like nurturing creativity in others, especially our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! My kiddos like to sit on my lap while I am at my machine and "help". It's awesome to watch kids create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making an awesome toy and a great memory as well. I know Oliver will remember that day for a long time. Ezra wants to thank you for helping him make his fire shorts as well (and the shirt to go with them). We have the best Lolly ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to some day sewing with little people!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caleb said, "That's Sonic! what is it made from? Samuel said, "Oh wow! that's totally awesome!"

    ReplyDelete