Thursday, May 22, 2014

Really Random Thursday: May Edition

May is such a busy month, isn't it? Here's a little diary of random stuff that I've been up to: 
First off, today I joined about 45 quilters for a bus trip to Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri. I spent a lot of time in the Basics Shop looking at all of the pretty solids and polka dots. (Yes, I bought some.) Isn't the decor fabulous!
 The shop window reminded me of my sewing room!
Last week, Lois stood still long enough for me to snap a few photos of her wearing her new Jump Rope Dress. Of course, I think she would even look cute wearing a paper bag!
 All of my little grand daughters love to wear skirts and dresses. I whipped up these elastic waist skirts in just a few hours one afternoon. The fabric is by Anna Maria Horner.
 I used the last of my "Lolly" labels to mark the back of the skirts to help Lula and Jane in dressing themselves.
 But, just the next day, the postman delivered my new labels ordered from Jennifer's Jewels. Thanks, Suz, for sharing this great etsy source with me!
Speaking of little girls. Do you see any matches in this batch of socks that I washed last week when my daughter's dryer broke down?... Neither did I. (The joke was on me!)
Remember when I unsewed all of the background quilting on my Farmer's Wife quilt a year ago? And the quilter re-quilted it for me? Well, good news! Lynne  entered the quilt into the Machine Quilter's Showcase in Wichita, Kansas, and won a Teacher's Award Ribbon for her fabulous work. We are both so proud!
And while we are on the subject of beautiful quilting, have you heard about this big Quilt Festival coming to Kansas City next year? Be there or be square; that's all I can say! (If you are interested in being a vendor at the festival, give me a holler and I will connect you with the right people.)
 I love this time of year when everything is green and the flowers are blooming everywhere I look. Isn't this a cute display seen at our local arboretum! It's a bit hard to see in the photo but the flowers are planted in ROYGBIV order.
While visiting the arboretum, I glanced over toward the lake and almost said to my friends, "Hey, let's go see what that guy is painting!" He was pretty good.
Happy May! I hope you are relishing every minute of life!


10 comments:

  1. Congrats Carla! I'd love to visit that shop too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of wonderful randomness Carla! The sculpture of the man painting reminds me of my grandfather who was an artist with a beard just like that! What an amazing fabric shop! Congrats on the ribbon and the labels are perfect for Lolly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I lived closer to the store, or maybe not!
    Your granddaughter looks so sweet in the dress. Congratulations on your award, very well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have dandy grandies! (are those itty bitty keens on her wee feet!!) Is this not your second trip to Hamilton this month?Does the Hubs know about this??!! :) Wonderful news on the quilting award...very exciting after ALL that work and dedication!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carla, you have certainly been up to your usual "beautiful stuff"! And that little granddaughter is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post! Congrats on the ribbon. I know it makes all those hours seem validated. It's such a beautiful quilt. And Lois is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun field trip for sure. I'd love to go sometime. The sock pile made me laugh because even now at 24 my daughter still wears miss-matched socks like those. It's just a hint of her artistic wacky personality coming through her otherwise conservative side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's neat to see what you consider random, and I like everything in this post. Lois's little dress is darling, as are the skirts. You make and give them so many cute things. Congratulations on the quilt's award. You didn't a great job with color choices and piecing on this pretty quilt. And thanks for the link to where to buy labels. Since starting to sew little boy shorts, I'd like to put a label in their clothes too. Glad you could enjoy that quilt shop a couple times already! Oh! And thanks for mentioning the show in June next year. I'll see about planning a trip during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Linda--awesome randomness. Actually I thought I had already commented on this--but apparently I was just talking to myself...I love that paint palette with the flowers. Your FW quilt definitely deserves every single ribbon--it's stunning. Can't we please go shopping together?

    ReplyDelete