Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Getting Direction

 Have you ever tried to make a map out of fabric? ...Me neither.
It's something I had never even considered doing until I was invited to join the Four In Art group on Flickr. Every three months each participant makes an art quilt centered around a topic. Our first challenge, under the topic of 'Urban' is to make a "Maps" quilt.
In doing a bit of research on the subject, I found a fun book full of ideas. I thought about buying it, but I then doubt that I would ever use it again after this project. Instead, I hunted down a map that I like and am busy making "map fabric". Hopefully, I will get the feeling of "direction" as I go along!(Pun intended!)
One thing for sure, I'l be as surprised as anyone as to the outcome of this little 12 inch quilt! 

13 comments:

  1. OMGosh! You will try anything!!!! I am sure it will be marvelous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprises are good. I am sure you will create something awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this art quilt idea! What a great group. It will be fun to see what everyone creates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! You are really stepping out of the box. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting! Sounds so complicated. Anxious to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are off to an awesome start. Are you adding a compass and legend to the map too? Can't wait to see the finished product. How very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so this is what this is for!!!! I am a tiny bit jealous that you were invited into this group! You are in a very select and talented group of quilters! I am sure you will love this experience, and do me proud ;-)) !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you seen Alicia Merrett's maps? well worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Love your Denver Metro and Colorado maps & travel guides! ;-) I hope you post the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your starts. I did buy the book, and you're right--it's a little help, but not much with the direction I want to go. She has some interesting techniques, so if you want to borrow it, holler and I'll send it over. But only after the 1st (ha ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cool challenge. I really like it so far!!

    ReplyDelete