Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sew Day

Yesterday I took a sew day. (That's kind of like a sick day for quilters, I think.) Over the weekend, I did a bunch of yard work. It wore me out...thus the sew day! I got a lot done...
 Being a bit behind on my Bee blocks (Say that three times really fast!), I concentrated on getting caught up. What fun I had!! This is my last month to participate in the Kansas City Scrappy Bee with the MQG. Beth sent fabrics in grey, orange and yellow and asked for any block with a flying geese design. I added a few scraps from my stash and sewed this Circle of Geese paper-pieced block. This is my second effort at making this block and I will say that it is a little like child birth.....the end result is so wonderful that you forget the pain involved...(eventually!) Whew!
 After that major effort, I treated myself to something fast and easy...this wonderful scrappy Japanese x and + block for Amy (better known as Mrs. Schmenkman) This was her request for the May block in the One Block Over Bee. She had even cut all the fabrics and mailed them so all I had to do was sew! I'd love to sometime make a quilt with this block using my scraps. Love it! Here's a teaser of what it would look like all set together and the tutorial.
 Next up, I needed to create two house blocks for May and June in the Calendar of Houses Bee. Here's what I came up with for May, using two of my favorite Sherbet Pips fabrics. See the polliwogs in jars on the window sill? Gardening, frogs, pretty weather and little girls swinging...that's May! (I left out the rain and tornadoes!) Hope you like it, Linda!
 For June, I decided to go with a bird house theme. (Did you know I'm nutty for birds?) I used a large, pretty vintage button to make the door on the house. This design for Sandy was a snap to make using one of my favorite bird fabrics as the background. I wish now that I'd used a stronger color for the base of the house to sit on. The pink cherries gets a little lost. Sorry!
Look what I'm up to today...sorting and swapping all of the wonderful I Spy Charms that have been arriving at my address over the last few weeks. Around 45 quilters are participating with a grand total of 125 sets of charms. There are 20 charms in each set. If you do the math, that's a BUNCH of charms!!  This might take some time....I better get started! Stay tuned!
 Good-bye May!  Hello, June!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to get those little i spy goodies. Thanks for all your work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that house block is adorable!!! And I'm impressed with the flying geese. I have always wanted to try that circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the house block too! Can't wait for the I spy package to come in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to see the different blocks you're making in your bees. Remind me not so sign up for that many at once, okay? I adore the Circle of Geese block. If it's like giving birth, I plan to deliver about a dozen! I've got the papers printed off and am just waiting for a break in the FMQ action to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh carla! thank you, thank you for making the circle of geese block! it's so cool! i'm so happy to be adopting your baby and giving it a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ALL of your bee blocks! You have been busy, and come up with very pretty and fun designs.
    Those I spy bags looks so exciting ....

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been busy! Your blocks look great and the house block with the little girl is beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your house blocks. The pink house is really really cute!

    ReplyDelete