I made this today. For Andrea.June is her month for the One Block Over Bee and she requested that we make an improvisational interpretation of a painting by Ton Schulten. We each were given different pictures of his art to work from. This is the awesome one she sent to me......
Andrea also sent a selection of solid fabrics organized into packets of lights and darks. Her idea was for us to make definite distinctions between the sunlight and shadow areas in our block.
I started by creating the darker outside sections, piecing willy nilly using the fabrics she'd sent, plus some of my stash, as I felt my pallet was lacking enough lights. Here's how I began organizing the center sunset section....I didn't end up using all of the fabrics, however.
Making this quilt..I mean block....was a stretch for me. I've never done anything like it before, but found that I loved doing it! I do think that I may have tried a little too hard in my "first timeness" and my interpretation may be too literal and have more small pieces than Andrea was looking for.
I spent too much time making the block, but it is my own fault. I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes. It would have gone faster, if I hadn't added so much detail. I'm happy enough with the results, though, that it will be hard to tell it goodbye and send it off to New York!
This was so much fun, I think I will try it again sometime! Next time, I'll hang it on the wall!