Friday, May 25, 2012

Farmer's Wife Friday--Rich in Blessings

After a week off, ( to finally meet face to face)  Cindy and I are back today with another post  regarding yet another letter written in 1922, to the Farmer's Wife Magazine. The letters were written in response to the question, "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in the light of your own experience, want her to marry a farmer?" Today's farm wife lived in Roanoke County, Virginia. Here are some of her thoughts and the blocks they inspired...
This fine wife had a bit of a different perspective from the previous letter writers. "I was born and raised on a farm but grew up knowing absolutely nothing about it." she writes. Her cultured Virginian parents apparently did not allow her to "even so much as put foot in the barn lot..." She felt the farm to be a jail to her, and hated it. With the death of her mother, however, there came a change of heart.
 Homeward Bound-Block #48
Being in bad health herself, she  and her invalid father spent the next winter living in the city where "the scales fell from my eyes. I saw his longing for the old home, and I felt my longing, so back we came...Life was a revelation to me."
 Sawtooth-Block #76
Three blessings that she had barely known before are happiness, health and content, while the obstacles she encountered every day on the farm made her stronger as they were overcome. "Country life calls for all the ingenuity and resource there is in you."
 Buckwheat-Block #13
This farm wife enjoyed seeing the fruits of her labor and "to experience at the same time, love, reverence and wonder, at the Giver of all", a sentiment I highly appreciate myself.
 Waste Not-Block #97
With a positive attitude toward farm life, our wife is "raising her [daughter ] to be a good wife for a good farmer, for there is where I believe she will find greatest happiness and usefulness."
With only 6 more posts after today's letter, the countdown has begun....we should finish up around the 4th of July. Perfect. Independence Day!  I'm anxious to see Cindy's blocks today and to read her (always) clever comments. Join me?

7 comments:

  1. Your blocks certainly are happy! I love the colors and can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are just beautiful this week. I can't decide which is my favorite. They are all so happy and cheery. I'm so glad we (and our blocks) were able to spend some time together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are so pretty! I think Homeward Bound is today's favourite!! Appropriate that you are on the home stretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how cheery your blocks are, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Blocks, as usual.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete