Monday, November 8, 2010

Home Alone

Circumstances kept me home alone all day for a few days, so.......
when the cat's away, the mice will play!!!


 I started piecing together the blocks for Jennifer's Quilt-Along.  I had the cutting already done so it was quick work to put all the white strips around the 42 charm squares.
I even got a good start on the second round of strips for this square-in-a-square design.  I have a certain person in mind for this quilt and am excited at how it is working up.


Another quilt on my radar screen is the Serendipity Quilt using Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush fabrics. After sewing up the blocks, I began the fun challenge of laying it all out in a pleasing combination.  I tried matching up colors at first, but liked it better when I scattered the colors across the top in a miss-match design.  I even got several rows of squares set together. Oh, how I am loving this so far!  This may be my new Fall Wall Quilt for the living room rod that hangs above my stairway.  I like to change out the quilt there and am wanting some new ones. I wonder if I could finish it by Thanksgiving? Did I say that out loud?
  
 We rented a movie on Saturday night. I like to keep my hands busy when I'm sitting on the couch in front of the boob tube, so the hexies came out to play.  Since I have all 20 strips together, I began sewing the strips together. Oh man, this will take a while...wonder how long. I sure am glad that I chose to do a smallish table cover and not a large quilt!
I settled on a small running stitch and grey quilting weight thread to sew my hexagons together.  I tried using the silk thread that was recommended at guild meeting a few months ago, but it kept shredding on me, so I gave that up. It did make a fine invisible stitch though. Hopefully, all those paper hexagons will come out without much trouble. I'm counting on it!
Did you get to sew over the weekend?

7 comments:

  1. Your QAL progress looks great! Love your fabrics. The hexies look great. Do you know if there are any online tutorials for hexagons? I've looked, and not really found anything, and I want to give them a try SO bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look at you go. I didn't work on the QA today...maybe tomorrow...but I have running to do, so who knows. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy girl! Love the Innocent Crush quilt. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! My stomach fluttered a little seeing your Innocent Crush quilt... beautiful! I like your QAL blocks too! I'm behind on my own QAL LOL! Is that allowed??

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been so busy, Carla! I love what you're working on and know you can finish that one by Thanksgiving! But forgive yourself if you don't. We're supposed to enjoy the process, remember? I went up to the Booneslick Trail quilt show in Columbia with some friends this weekend and also traveled to KC to have blunch (that's what they called it at the Westside Local) with my daughter, and even found time to finish a baby quilt top. Now on to quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely did a lot of playing! Love the square-in-a-square block. I'll have to check out Jennifer's quilt along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to tell you that I had a little trouble with my dry hands snagging the silk thread a bit and sometimes a bit of breakage when I tugged too hard. I started running it through Thread Heaven (I think that's what it's called - the blue cube of wax) and it seemed to solve my issues. I loved seeing both of your Christmas quilts tonight!

    ReplyDelete