Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Beth is hosting a parade this week. A Pincushion Parade, no less! Since I do love a parade, I decided to join in the fun. Here's my parade....
As you can see, all of my pincushions are hand made. I love and use them all! Starting at the top and going clockwise in the photo below, may I present my parade entries:
1. Grey wool cushion made by a bff, Vicki: it holds my sewing needles and I think it is adorable!
2. Largest and oldest of the six, this flannel lovely holds my flat head pins mostly and is always close-by.I bought it at a bazaar and it used to sit atop a terracotta flower pot.
3. I made his felted wool book-style pin holder. It comes in handy when traveling. (You can see the inside in the next picture.)
4. The baby of the group, I keep this little bottle cap cushion in a tin with my binding clips.( I never wear it on my finger the way I am supposed to though.)
5. My favorite little glass-head straight pins keep company in this pin cushion that I made using a pattern from a magazine a few years ago.
6. Every parade needs a celebrity and this one is mine. Cindy, who blogs at Live a Colorful Life, gifted this gorgeous cushion to me. It is made from fabric selvages that all have special meaning to me. I especially like the crushed walnut shell filling.
My pin cushions are always laying around my sewing room, but if I were going to store them somewhere special, it would definitely be in this pink antique sewing basket. It is one of my prized possessions and belonged to my beloved grandmother, Rossie, who made all of her quilts on a treadle machine.
Peek inside the sewing basket and you can quickly see that inflation has hit the thread market, just like everything else! I'm not sure how old these wooden spools are.
Why not join the fun by linking up with Love, Laugh, Quilt and join the Pincushion Parade! I'd love to see your entries!