Friday, July 8, 2011

Letter #3: City Life Holds No Glamour

Welcome to Farmer's Wife Friday! This marks my third week of working through the 111 blocks and letters in the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt with Cindy of Live a Colorful Life.
Be sure to stop by and see Cindy's renditions of this week's blocks. First up is an easy block, called Flock.......
 Making the blocks a little larger and then trimming them down to the correct size made Flock come together quickly and without any problems. It's fun to compare my bright block to the Civil War reproductions used  in the book.
 Hill and Valley is the other block accompanying the third letter, City Life Holds No Glamour, by Mrs. A.B.D. from Park County, Wyoming.
 The author, who had grown up in the city, says, "There is no space here to tell of my love for the panorama of ever-changing beauty that unrolls from my cabin on the hilltop."
 I'm finding that I like how the white backgrounds offer such a nice contrast to showcase the small pieces in these 6 inch blocks. Again, the Easy Angle ruler came in handy for cutting the pieces instead of using the templates included in the book.
My six blocks are looking quite happy together, I think. Maybe I'll use some yellow in one of the next blocks. Y'all come back now, ya hear!

7 comments:

  1. Carla, these blocks are looking so fantastic! I love the fabrics you are choosing...of course lots of polka dots makes everything better! You make me want to jump in and do a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your color combinations. The polka dots make me happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are so happy with the polka dots - great idea!! I've been barely teetering on the brink of jumping into this quilt-along. Your blocks are making me want to dive in :) The templates were turning me off, but if there's an easier way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I am enjoying watching your progress! I love the colors--very summery! See ya next week Friday for more :)!
    Carin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blocks, Carla! I'm impressed with your perseverance to not use templates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the brights too. I wonder what the farmer's wife would think of that fabulous fabric.

    ReplyDelete