Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Summer Scarf


Sometimes, when I'm sitting in church or a restaurant and there's an air conditioning vent placed so that it blows right on me, I'm miserable. I just need a little sumpin,sumpin to ward off the draft.  And of course, I want to look chic doing it! Do you feel the same way? You do?
Okay, then. Here's one lovely way to cover your neck and look so very lovely at the same time..............


First, buy yourself a half yard of a beautiful, soft, cotton fabric.  I used Anna Maria Horner's popular Little Folks voile in both Coloring Garden and Little Honey patterns. I'd only seen this fabric on-line as no quilt shops near me seem to carry it. Oh, my!  I am in love with the feel of this summery material. 








I love it so much that I just "had" to order more for a quilt as well.  I'm on the hunt for the perfect pattern, but until then I plan to keep it close so that I can just run my hands over the smooth texture whenever I walk by! (Excuse me, I'll be right back....)


Okay, now back to the scarf..... 




While shopping one day I notice a lovely ruffled scarf worn by a young woman at the quilt shop I was visiting. The clerk asked if she had made it and she replied that indeed she had. I eavesdropped  stepped closer so that I over heard her to say that she used elastic thread to create the ruffle and oh, how easy it was. Then, a few days later, Jennifer (aka That girl...that quilt) showed how she'd used elastic thread to create a darling pillowcase dress for her daughter. 
What's a girl to do?  I gotta try this elastic thread thing.  Here are the instructions that I used to create my ruffly scarf. Dana said that it would take 30 minutes to make.  I didn't time myself, but I will just confirm that it is fast and easy!
I made two, and will let my daughter choose one for herself.  One addition I would make to the directions is to maybe wash and rinse your scarf with a little dab of fabric softener to give it a bit more of a relaxed look. 
   I think I'll go pet my Little Folks voiles. Can't wait to use them in a quilt!! Have you sewn with them yet?

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Can I be your daughter too? LOL

    Those are so pretty and I am loving the idea of using elastic thread in something else. It is so much fun to sew with!

    I am going to have to get some of her voille; I keep hearing such good things about it. Have fun!

    Jennifer :)

    PS... Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta make some of these! I am definitely a scarf kind of girl :) Been looking for an excuse to buy some of that voile - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute scarf...but I wanted to see it on YOU!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! And how wise to choose AMH's scrumptious voile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a bunch of these this past summer out of batiks. Now I am making them out of flannel! They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete