Thursday, June 16, 2011

KCMQG Chef Swap

We were given a challenge in the Modern Quilt Guild to use the scraps provided by another member to create something for their kitchen.  Here are some of the pretty fabrics included in the packet that I randomly chose. 
Vicki wanted red and a little bit of aqua.
 Spying a nice set of white bar towels at Target, I decided they would make a great jumping off point for my swap project. I found a tutorial on Sew 4 Home and tweaked it to work with the fabrics I was given.
 Included in the packet were several selvages. Adding some Sherbet Pip squares that I had on hand from another project, I soon created a little pot holder to match the towels.
 Oh, it is so hard to part with this set of new kitchen linens!
 I do love aqua and red together so much! 
 Vicki,have fun using your pretty towels as you cook up something delish this summer!

Mary chose my baggie of scraps. I'd also included red and aqua with some lime green thrown in too. Look what she made for me! There was even a cup to match in my gift bag!
 The cute mug rug is reversible so I can have a new look every time I use it. 
Thanks, Mary!
I treated myself to some Starbucks this morning, as you can see. I must have sounded really excited to be there in the drive thru, because when I picked up my drink at the window, the name on it was "for our happiest customer!"
It also may have had something to do with the fact that i had two beautiful redheaded little girls in the backseat, singing "The wheels on the bus...."
Have a super day!

9 comments:

  1. I love the towels and potholder! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you did a great job! Gotta love those mug rugs...and you've given me a reason to run to Target and get some of those bar towels! Lovely creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using the other person's scraps. I'm really intimidated by some of the recent swaps because I know everyone has such different taste in fabric choices--this totally takes out that factor. Your towels look great, and your mug rug is perfect for the Starbucks cup :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I really love both color choices... and the lime green with the red & aqua is so unexpected but it works wonderfully. Thanks for sharing your quilt guild happenings. I'm slowing gathering up the courage to join one.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! Your towels are just darling! Love the mug rug too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The set you made for Vicki is wonderful! You really did a nice job of making pieces she can use. I'm picturing one of the tea towels looped through the handle of an aqua frig! Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabrics Viki gave U to play with. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea!! We are doing something similar for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for being my chef for this swap, Carla! I love the towels and the potholder, they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete