Friday, August 26, 2011

Farmer's Wife Friday--Farmer's Daughter/Farmer's Wife

This week's letter was penned by a woman from Clay County, Mississippi who is both the daughter of a farmer as well as the wife of one. She is eager to see her daughter follow in her footsteps. As she sees it, being a farmer's wife is beneficial both financially and physically.

Her letter inspired these blocks, 'Cats and Mice' and 'Windblown Square'. She is "independent" and can "squeeze from the grocery list a little for her own private use". I'm imagining that she has a kitty living in her cellar to keep away the mice that might be wanting to hide among her food supply!
 My grey kitty keeps the mice under control in my own basement, that I know. Looking at all of my colorful blocks so far has me getting a little bit of an overload of "sweetness" so I  thought I would begin adding some lovely grey into some of the blocks to tone things down a  little.  When I measured the templates to make this pretty block, I goofed and cut the squares 1/8 inch too large. That may not seem like much, but it made for some "pressing into submission" on my part, let's just say!
 This Mississippi farmer's wife seemed to have some knowledge of art as she mentioned two different artists and compared her farm life to the paintings produced. "Does a Rosa Bonheur gain fame by painting animals? My daughter will raise those animals and bring them to a perfection which her paintings can never hope to attain, all the while surrounded by God's sweet and wholesome air and the beauty of His world."  ( I had to look it up to find out that Rosa Bonheur was considered the most famous female painter in the 1800's!)The Windblown Square block is a reminder of Who controls the wind! 
Here's a windblown look at the squares I've made so far...................
See you next Friday! Don't forget to go see Cindy's blocks in solids; they are so pretty!

8 comments:

  1. Your blocks "play so well together!" I love all the colors. The gray will look nice in among them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last shot...you picked a nice assortment of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "windblown" picture! Your blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That block with the blue and white really pops! Love it. I bought the book but wasn't impressed with the lack of instructions, so I've not done a single block. But your blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that last picture!! YOu've got a GREAT set of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so enjoying your fun blocks. They are really my style too! You are helping to keep me going. When you paper piece a block please let us know so we can consider it a helpful hint. Thanks ever so much! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The windblown block is my favorite. Okay, I've had a favorite every week, but now that one is my favorite. Maybe it's because I like green. Your scattered blocks look marvelous. I can't wait to see them all sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, these are looking so good. Love the grey!!

    ReplyDelete