Thursday, November 17, 2011

Farmer's Wife Friday--Independence and Charm

The farmer's wife is back today after being on "sick leave" for a few weeks...have you missed her? This week's wife is from my home state of Missouri and she has nothing but good things to say about  country living: "There is a wholesomeness about farm life, an independence and charm not found in any other industry."
Mrs. R.C.W, from Jasper County, doesn't mince words about any "drudge' wife who can't find the time for pleasures during the day and blames "a lack of management, lack of order and lack of backbone and brains" as the source. Well, we all can learn from that, probably!
She definitely hopes for a farmer son-in-law someday; someone who gives her daughter a  home on a farm, perhaps just like the one where she is growing up..."with all the joys and pleasures of an American home in God's wonderful out-of-doors."
The blocks today both reflect one of my personal favorite things about county living, and that is visits from my feathered friends to the bird feeders. I love to watch the darting antics of all the different species, especially in the winter after a snowstorm.
Block 27-Darting Birds
Once in a while, a sharp eyed hawk will swoop down to try and snatch up an unsuspecting little bird perched on my feeder. 
Block 52-Hovering Hawks
The first time I witnessed a successful catch, it was a little dismaying and I was more than glad that one of my grand daughters wasn't watching at the window with me as feathers fell to the ground. But, then, that's the circle of life, especially in the country. 
Be sure to visit Cindy today and read her thoughts on the charming life of a farmer! I can't wait to see her blocks...always so different from mine!



5 comments:

  1. Fun fabric choices--especially the gingham and polka dots! You get to observe such interesting things--so different from city life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning blocks as always!

    We had a neighborhood Coopers Hawk and heard the squeals of little things being squeezed. The we watched and saw the remnants of the raining of uneatable little bird parts. We had a saying at our house that "big birds eat little birds".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't there to see it either - it would have upset me even though I know it's reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has always been one of my favorite scriptures. We may need to be reminded of these things in the years ahead. God bless you and yours this Thanksgiving!

    Link through to my quilt blog from A Colorful World. It's called piece-fulness.

    ReplyDelete