Thursday, October 4, 2012

Really Random Fall Stuff

October is one of my favorite months.
Pumpkins are so cute, don't you think...and look at those mums!
 The trees are beginning to show their colorful finery...
 But wait! What's this I see?
 A magnolia tree thinks it's April? There are quite a few mixed up trees around.
Apparently, the extreme summer drought caused dormancy,
 then, rain and a drop in temperature, tricked them into blooming like it is spring!
Cooler weather and quilts go together! I took this stack to my quilt guild on Tuesday
for a presentation on quilting and the internet.
 With 2012 winding down, I want to finish up some UFO's...
What's autumn without banana and zuchinni bread?
Do you have these all over your yard like I do? If you don't recognize them,
they are Hedge Apples...the squirrels love them to eat and I like them for decoration!
My sister and her husband lives in suburban Colorado Springs, not far from where the fires were this summer. Their wildlife camera caught this unwanted visitor helping himself to the apples on their tree right outside the front door! They had put up a squirrel guard and net to keep the birds off till harvest but Teddy just reached right over with no problem at all!
Hopefully, he left a few for an apple pie!
I'm linking up with Cindy for Really Random Thursday
Click over and see other fun randomness!


15 comments:

  1. Hedge Apples...that's a new one to me! That basted quilt looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I don't have bears in my yard - think that would freak me out!! Love the red and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks very tasty! I'll be interested to see your lovely quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Love the bear in the yard! We sometimes see bears here. The neighbors have pear trees and the bears love them. Hedge apples are fascinating-- Never saw them before.

    Hope you have a lovely day with all those pretty quilts & inspiring sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a hedge apple. Too bad the bears won't go for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hedge apples! I've never seen them indoors before...wonderful idea! I love your random posts! I have 3 rows of still green pumpkins...hoping for at least a couple to turn orange :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you put Hedge apples in your closets? I think it's suppose to keep moths away.
    The kids bought me some ornamental cherry tree a few years ago, it is blooming for the 2nd time this year.
    Frost is forecasted for Sunday!?! Snow will surely fly soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that bear! Wow! I have never seen those hedge apples. That's neat. We have mixed up flowers here, too. Our leaves are in full swing for fall already soon. We're supposed to have a hard frost this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkins ARE cute! I have never seen hedge apples either. I can't wait until it feels like fall here. Oh, wait. It's supposed to drop down to 84 here. Brrr....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Think I'm all caught up now! You are a busy lady! Your Farmer's Wife quilt is gorgeous. I'm still trying to get organized enough to get a leader/ender project going. The things you do with your scraps always impresses me...

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I'd be inclined to argue with him about the apples! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors around your house are so pretty! Love that mixed-up magnolia! We're not seeing any color changes around here, nor a change in the temps which have remained in the 80s, so it doesn't feel like fall at all. Such a different way to experience seasons - or not. It's great to see the quilts you're working on. And, I am sure you wowed the quilt guild with your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHOA!!!! HE can have all he wants!!!! THanks for the fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Recently found your blog thru Pinterest and have been having fun reading back through posts. I am awed at your talent. The hedge apples are known in these parts as Osage oranges as well. Did you know they are a natural bug repellent ? Helped me get rid of some nasty spider crickets when we first moved into our house. I swear by them and wrote about them http://tinkquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/where-two-blog-posts-collide-part-two.html
    As well.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Recently found your blog thru Pinterest and have been having fun reading back through posts. I am awed at your talent. The hedge apples are known in these parts as Osage oranges as well. Did you know they are a natural bug repellent ? Helped me get rid of some nasty spider crickets when we first moved into our house. I swear by them and wrote about them http://tinkquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/where-two-blog-posts-collide-part-two.html
    As well.....

    ReplyDelete