Thursday, October 11, 2012

Random Blocks

Using selected squares from my stash as leaders and enders is a habit that I've developed....can hardly sew a seam without them, actually. Here are all 82 blocks, finished and pressed, for the Mazed Quilt by Kristy Daum. Making them as leaders/enders, while sewing on other things, was a painless way to create the parts to another quilt! I'm looking forward to sitting down and putting them all together to assemble a quilt like the one on the pattern cover. The prints are all Bohemian Rhapsody by Moda, cut from a layer cake.
 When I get toward the end of one leader/ender project, I almost always have another waiting on the sideline. Next up, I'll be putting together this pattern by someone many of you know, Cindy from Live a Colorful Life! Cindy gifted me with the pattern sometime back and I've been wanting to try it. The pattern calls for 5 inch squares...got that! I'll use a charm pack called Trade Winds that I've horded in my stash for about a year. I also need 2.5 inch squares and some rectangles. I decided to use some Amy Butler fabrics for those. Looks like a wild quilt, doesn't it....just my type!!
 The deadline for mailing out swap blocks to the lovely ladies in my 3 X 6 Sampler Bee is quickly approaching. It was fun to pull fabrics in 6 different color combos to create Great Granny Squares for (l. to r.) Paige, Deb, Alison, Leona, Cille, and Staci. I hope they like them! I'll be making one for myself in orange and aqua. (Yes, I know that I still haven't finished my Patriotic Granny Square quilt...but have a plan in place to geterdone!...really.)
 On the subject of quilt blocks....this is a great book, checked out from my public library. I may have to look for this one to add to my personal bookshelf!
I'm linking up with Live A Colorful Life Really Random Thursday.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, your Great Grannies are gorgeous! I love the red floral with the blue spots! And the red spotted one too! Jammin' Jelly is going to be wonderful! Love "Trade Winds"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love each and every one of your Great Grannies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking nice.. Love both set of blocks.. I am working on scrap vomit quilt for my lleaders and enders.. I called them spidy. I blogged about them too as they really save thread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book -- it's great, one day I might even make something from it!

    You are so organised - you inspire me (if I ever get back to piecing with all the bag making I've been working on -- and the next project is an apron!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Great Grannies are fabulous! What? You are using Jammin' Jelly as your next leaders/enders? I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definately let me know when you finish your MAZED quilt, as I'd love to feature it on my blog. It's going to be lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those Grannies, Carla! Always good to check in with you and see your marvelous creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Mazed pattern. It's perfect for leaders and enders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love, love, love your orange and blue granny, Carla!! I mean love it!! You did such a great job mixing up fabrics with all of them! And your leaders and enders project is going to be amazing! That book looks familiar :) I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful squares!
    That looks like a great book, I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, but don't you have some wonderful, colorful stuff on this post?! I'm so envious of the rate at which you put together leader/ender quilt projects. I'm pretty sure I just started too darned small. Good for you for all you're accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blocks! And that first quilt looks like fun. I had to buy that Modern Blocks book a while back. A friend made something from it, and I had to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun. I really want to start trying the leaders and enders thing. I am just having trouble prepping the materials. I need to pick a pattern sort through my scraps and just get to it. Thanks for bring it up each time you talk about your leaders and enders projects it reminds me that it is something I would like to do. For goodness sakes I could have had 8 pieces sewn together just last night :)

    ReplyDelete