Monday, August 30, 2010

Roller Coaster Ride

The last ten days have been a roller coaster ride!  I'd have rather been quilting and blogging, believe me. But LIFE has a way of throwing curves when you least expect it. I'm so glad that I have had these ladies praying for me and my family. The Pink Flamingos have my back!
The last week has been spent at the bedside of my 33 year old son who has somehow contracted endocarditis from an infection in his bloodstream.  He faces the possibility of heart valve replacement in the next weeks. We know that the bacteria entered his blood through his saliva, possibly from flossing his teeth.  Yes, you read that right. Flossing.  Because he already had a heart murmur, evidently, that is where the bacteria attacked...his weak spot on an otherwise healthy body. Crazy, huh?  He's home now and on antibiotics so we have a breather before rounding the next curve on this roller coaster ride! 


No sewing has been done at this house over the last days.  I had just finished the quilting on baby Jane's quilt when I got the news to go to the hospital. I love the way the "barbed wire" quilting turned out!  The "straightish" lines are interrupted by a little loop every so often, reminding me of the fences on the farm I grew up on. It was mindless stitching! And, I couldn't mess it up really....a plus!!  This view from the back shows the quilting really well.
The 2.25 inch binding is pieced from the leftover scraps from the front of the quilt.  I love the ice cream colors and am looking forward to getting it sewn on so that I can do the hand  stitching.  
Thanks for hanging in there with me while I've been away.  I've missed you!  


P.S. In the upper right corner of the sidebar is a spot to cast your vote for Stichin' Mission to win a $1000 grant to expand. Read all about it by clicking on the button Linda has become one of my invisible friends here in blogland.  She has a passion for creating quilts to donate to people in need, just as I do! You can vote once per day until September 1. 

15 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Drew. We will definitely add him to our prayer list. Hang in there! Derick just found out that Theodore has a heart murmur and will be going to the pediatric cardiologist when they can get in. Life isn't easy but God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carla! I'm so sorry to hear that your son is ill. I just assumed you'd been busy playing with Jane! Will keep you guys in my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What scary news about your son. Will pray for your family and his medical team. Will also pray that he heals well and won't need the valve replacement surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carla! I am terribly sorry to hear about your son. What a fluke thing! I will be saying prayers for him, and for you. Blessings.

    And thank you for your support for Stitchin' Mission!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, so sorry. Wishing you and your son the best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for spending the last week with Adam & I. although it was NOT where any of us wanted to be, your company was a great distraction and your attention to everything medical was invaluable. day #2 of IVs - complete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your son's illness. Sending all good thoughts and prayers for healing his way and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, I hope the antibiotics work and that surgery can be averted. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about this Carla. I'm glad you've been able to be with him, and you'll all be in my prayers. - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla:

    I'm so sorry to hear about your son - I'll be keeping him and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh No! I'm so sorry to hear about this -- I know what a terrible worry it must be. Sending big hugs your way....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carla, I've been out of the loop and just read this post. Hope all is continuing to improve. Prayer is a powerful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How scarey! I read this a few days ago and you and your family have been in my prayers!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, Carla. You and your son are in my prayers and hoping that his heart fully recovers without the need for a valve replacement. I've never heard of a such a thing. Man. Your quilt is going to be beautiful...those fabrics are delicious.

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete