Once upon a time I used to sew most of my clothes. Seriously. Even pants. I once made a fully lined wool maxi-coat (does that date me) complete with bound buttonholes. Then along came T.J. Maxx and Marshall's. Fabric stores started closing. Then patterns started costing more than a cute sweater at the above mentioned stores. Lately, though, I've gotten interested in starting to make a few things again. Here we go...
My sewing buddy, Jan, and I decided last weekend to try to copy this cute corduroy tunic...last year's model, from the JJill Store. Retail for the top was around $79. Too much, we decided, to warrant buying this year's model. How hard could it be?The Simplicity pattern we decided on was on sale for $1.99. The regular price is...are you ready???.....$17.99! What's up with that? It's tissue paper...and they even make you cut on those crazy confusing lines for the size you want. At that price, I think there should be one piece for each size, don't you? I digress.
Cutting out is not our favorite part, we decided. When we compared the paper pieces to our JJill top we discovered that unless we used stretchy fabric, we were going to have to cut outside the lines as we neared the lower part of the shirt, let's just say! We used a cute hound's tooth flannel that cost us only $7 each with the sale price and end of bolt discount at JoAnn's. Our buttons were a couple of dollars, so the shirts ended up only costing around $11 each! Yay!
We liked the detail of a seam across the bodice in the front and back of the corduroy shirt.
It was easy to add the seam by simply cutting the pattern pieces in two and adding seam allowances. We chose to change up the collar on our black and white flannel shirts.All in all, I'm pleased with the way my shirt turned out. It fits me more snugly across the shoulders than the JJill shirt, but I don't mind that. This was a big problem for Jan, unfortunately, who is now on the hunt for some lucky person with narrower shoulders than she, who would love a JJill knock off shirt in black and white flannel!
With one success under my belt (or around my hips), I'm ready to try again. This time around I will be using the Amy Butler 'liverpool' shirt pattern to try to copy this year's version of the corduroy JJill tunic. I'm using a green pinwale that cost me $5 a yard on sale at JoAnn's. I purchased 3 yards. The buttons were half price too so that was only a couple of dollars. The pattern was around $12, I think. (It's been on my To Do list for a couple of years!) So the total cost is around $30 including the pattern, which I can use again, of course.
I'll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime, I'm ready for that cooler weather that's heading my way, I hear!