It's time to put all of my Farmer's Wife blocks together into a top. I'm getting excited to see this project completed and on my bed! The setting that I'll be using requires that half of my blocks be set on point. I cut a bunch of 5.5 inch white squares of Kona and then cut them all in half.Chain piecing is your best friend for something like this.
Working in sets of 14 or so, I was able to get all of them sashed in just a few sessions at the sewing machine.
By adding the white corners to each block, I am was able to disguise any differences in size that
Using my handy 9.5 inch Omnigrid square ruler, I lined up the points at 4.5 inch (the center of the 9 inch blocks I'm making) and then trimmed up two sides.
Turning the block upside down, I then lined up the cut edges on the 9 inch marks and then trimmed the two remaining sides.
Walla! A big stack of perfectly square 9 inch blocks and a bowl full of trimmings!
Here are all 55 on point blocks spread out on my bed. It looks pretty good, I think....and will look even better when I add in the other batch of square set blocks.
My first thought was, "Boy, this is going to be a pretty big quilt. I can't believe that I actually made all of these little blocks!"
Tomorrow I will start adding 2 inch strips to the other 55 blocks. That should go even faster!
I'd love to be able to show you a finished top next Friday. Stay tuned!