Friday, November 4, 2011

Pause Button

The pause button has been pushed on Farmer's Wife Friday for another week to give my pretty pink hand a chance to heal up a bit before I try sewing those tiny pieces again. Since maneuvering a shopping cart around the grocery store is hard with only one good arm, I've been pushing the pause button on lots of cooking as well! Ahhhh.....what a shame!!
Just in case you are collecting ideas for next year's Halloween costumes, here's an adorable sock monkey that uses a thrift store sweater as the main ingredient......
My daughter, Megan, wrote up a great tutorial about how she made Janie's costume here. You might enjoy some of her other creative ideas for "repurposing" as well.
Since there has been a hiccup in my quilt making for the last week or so, I thought I would show you a fun 'I Spy Quilt' made by my friend, Robin. She showed us the quilt during Show and Tell at quilt guild this week. Some of the charms are ones Robin received during the charm exchange with Lollyquiltz readers last spring. I love the clever way Robin arranged the squares by background color.
The shading makes a perfect border. I like the striped sashing too. What a fun quilt!
There is a lot to look at on the back too. Some little child is going be thrilled with this colorful quilt. 
Because I am not one to let much slow me down, I'm planning to attend a quilting retreat over the weekend. Where there's a will, there's a way, right! Stay tuned for the One Armed Quilter's report on that next week! Welcome to my new readers who found me by way of the Blogger's Quilt Festival. (I'm still looking through all the beautiful entries.) Enjoy your weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your arm! I have been a little out of the loop lately. Good luck to you and have fun on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little monkey and cat are as cute as can be! How clever Megan is. And that I Spy quilt?! Well, I'm completely reenergized to make mine. This is a wonderful way to put blocks together. I love the busy mish-mash of it. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing the I spy quilt. I was also in that exchange, and, even though my quilt is a UFO right now, I enjoy seeing others' finished quilts. I like finding the fabric I sent and seeing other charms that I received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does put a dent in your lifestyle, but it is such a pretty color!!!!!

    That is a great I Spy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a great I Spy quilt. Definitely "borrowing" that idea! You have an arm out of commission and I have had a computer out of commission--simultaneous "down" times for us. Have a GREAT time at the quilt retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That has to be one of the cutest costumes ever! That's a great quilt... I would have never thought to arrange the squares like that.

    Have a great weekend!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh Darn! No cooking! I sure hope the cleaning isn't on hold! Ha! Love the sock monkey costume....cute bum! THe kiddos are so cute....you must have so much fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very tenacious, Mrs. T!!! Have a great time at your retreat this weekend and I hope you don't have to spend too much more time as a one-armed quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! I love that I spy quilt! AND the cute costume! Thanks for sharing. Have fun quilting you one armed quilting wonder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute costumes, and so clever too! They are cutie-pies!

    Sorry to hear of your broken arm. It's not much fun trying to be a one-armed quilter. I did that 2 years ago - fell and broke my arm up by the shoulder. Slowed down the quilting for a couple of months, but I did manage some. Hope you can too. I didn't mind not cooking or cleaning tho'. LOL Have fun at your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear Carla. Sorry to hear about your arm. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your arm heals up quickly!

    Cute costumes! Love the sock monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla in hot pink! It is much prettier than my velcro beast. I drove my neighbor's stick shift today. I guess I'm on the mend. Hope you are stitching soon!

    ReplyDelete